Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

07 outlaw 525 Possible Battery Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 outlaw 525 Possible Battery Issue?

I've only had the opportunity to ride a couple times thus far this season, unforitnately, each ride resulted in a tow home.

The bike first ride ran great for a couple hours then just died, not much I could do trail side, it turned over fine, could smell fuel, towed it a bit, and it fired up, lasted about 5 minutes, died, did this over and over.

Got it in the garage tore it down, checked for spark fine, checked fuel fine, spark plug capped seemed pretty lose so tightened it and diolectric greased everything.

Bike fired up right away, brings us to yesterday out for ride number two, last half hour and dead again, started a few times after sitting then nothing.

Back to the garage, tore apart the cab, clean as a whistle, drained the tank through a shammy to filter no water or dirt, took the tank apart and cleaned out the fittings, clean also, everything else seemed to be in good working order.

Whch brought us to the battery, threw a volt meter on it and it read around 11, threw the charger on it while we did the rest of the work, a few hours later it was only reading just over 12.

Am thinking the battery is pooched? has enough charge to run for while then the computer shuts down and the bike turns off, sits a bit and has enough charge to run it for a few more minutes and so on

Would this make sense to anyone?

If so, is there any other battery I can use other than Polaris? AKA one from Canadian tire or walmart as I'd like to ride today and no dealership open to get one from

Thanks for the help

Old 05-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

you need to see if you have spark when it won't run........your batt is for storage,your charging system takes over as soon as it starts,maybe if your batt was shorted out but it would'nt hold a charge at all,i had a shorted car batt destroy a batt charger.when its running are you running 13.8-14.5 on your charging system????

Old 05-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think the problem is in your battery itself either. Check all your cables and make sure they are making a good connection. I was out for a ride last week with my son and we were 30 miles from nowhere when my sp700 wouldn't start back up at first, then it started. We rode a mile or so and it died. I went right to the battery and everything seemed fine. When I tried to start it again, no juice. So, I wiggled the battery cables, which seemed tight, and voila! Unfortunately when I tightened them down more I broke the terminal.....so we had to milk it back home. If all your connections are good, I might suspect the cdi?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got a new battery today and charged it up went out riding and got 30 minutes before it died, before it did die though was when i got on the gas good to climb a hill it hesitated a few times then died, it did this before two, seems like when I really get on it cuts in and out then dies.

Thinking maybe I'm loosing spark? have checked all connections,

only thing I can think of now is coil or cdi

Old 05-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bump

Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

There are a couple of things to check first. I have not heard of a single bad CDI on a 525 yet.

First Check the slack in your throttle. Right before the throttle cable goes in to the throttle assembly on the bars is an adjuster to tighten up the cable covered up by the rubber boot.. The TPI sensor will ground out the bike as a safety to prevent a stuck open throttle. If I was a betting man I would bet this is your problem. Simply tighten the cable up some to take the slack out of the throttle cable. This is pretty common once the initial stretch of a new cable happens.

The second thing to check is under the front cowel there is a brown plug with 2 wires going into it. This is the factory prewired tether. Make sure it is clean and wrapped to keep water from getting to it.

If these do not work you might want to go to an Outlaw specific site where you can get more in depth help. PM me if you need to know a couple.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

If this is the case, would the bike not even turn over at the point of fault? or would it turn over and not fire?

Old 05-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

bump

Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Took the coil off my buddies predator 500 and threw it on my bike as a test, figured maybe the coil was heating up and shutting down.

Went riding last night for about 2 hours and didn't have a problem.

Where I did notice the problems before which I forgot to mention was when you'd get on the gas hard that's when it would die. The last time was right in the middle of a hill climb, so last night I got on it good maxed out the revs in all gears and went full out down a few long straights did some good hill climbs turns around etc, and it worked flawlessly.

I'm not mechanic by any means, but I always thought a coil was either good or it wasn't, no half working?

Would a coil heating up and quiting then working agian later make sense to anyone?

Thanks.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any electrical wires change size when they heat up and cool down. If there are cracks in the insulation the cracks get bigger too when the wire heats up and can cause shorts. Since the coil is a big coil of wire, heating up during use could cause problems that get better when it's cool again. Just my opinion and I'm no expert.