Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help Polaris 800 X2 Stalling out in water.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Polaris 800 X2 Stalling out in water.

Greetings! First let me say this is a great place and I enjoy reading the forums. Long time lurker, first time poster. There seems to be a lot of knowledgable people in the house.

I have an '07 Polaris 800 X2 that has been giving me fits around water. I'm not talking crossing a river, I'm talking very little water. I had it out yesterday tearing around and crossed a small creek (about 6 inches deep) and 5 feet wide. I was doign around 15 MPH and right after I got out the other side, it started dieing out on me, sputtering and running really rough. I did that for about a quarter mile and ran fine. On the way back, I crossed the same creek at the same speed and it did it again. This thing only has 250 miles on it so it's not like it is used up. Where would be the best place to start looking for the issue? I know it's not a belt issue (I know exactly how that feels and sounds) so water has to be getting on an electrical part some place.

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:00 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

My first thought is that you may be creating steam and it gets to the air filter. If its a paper filter it may take that long to suck the moisture though.

Or, it could be something else. The answer will get here.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Make sure your spark plug boot is on the plug all the way. My 07 800 would run like crap after I washed it and thats what it was.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did check the plug boots and they were a little way from the very top, but nthing that bad. Don't get me wrong, that could be the answer. I wonder if I need to "invent" some kind of a boot cover and stick it on there?

Thanks for the replys so far as well. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

make sure water is not getting into any vent lines or steam in the filter(shouldnt be a issue as mine steams w/out any issues) and maybe next time it does this stop and see if its arcing somewhere by the plug from maybe a cracked wire or cap. also make sure there is no water getting into the intake boot and causing it to spit and sputter. just a few idears.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get some di-electric grease. Squirt a little bit inside the boot and the wire will keep contact with the plug even if water splashes on it. The boot should snap on tight too. It could also be water splashing up into the air intake. Even though the water is shallow it can splash up there. Try going 5 mph through the water and see if it runs okay.

Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

Frank: the di-electric grease won't be a big issue. I am a regional sales manager for a major auto parts company. so I have at least a case of samples sitting out there. As far as driving 5 MPH, I crossed a much deeper creek later that day going "slow" and didn't have any issues. It is without question being caused by water flying into something. My guess would be the plug issues that several of you have talked about, or it is being sucked into the air filter.I guess I'll just have to go by it piece by piece and safe guard it before I take it way in the heck back in the mountains.

Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

My guess is that its not anything serious due to the way it quickly cures itself. Is the air filter stock and if so, do you have a prefilter on it?

If it does it again, stop and take the lid off the airbox and check for water signs.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to know it's speed related M M. That narrows it down since faster = higher. Got any free samples? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I need to get some more grease for my trailer wires.

Good idea Mongrol. A pre-filter usually stops water from sucking in when it's just a little splash.

Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

When it happens pop the seat off and then pop the airbox lid off and check for moisture. I think it would be tough to get water in there from what you are describing unless the lid is not secure.

Quick Reply: Help Polaris 800 X2 Stalling out in water.