Buying New Tires-Swamp-lites-I think--I DID

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying New Tires-Swamp-lites-I think--I DID

Does size matter in mudding? I am talking about my future
purchase of a 26" or 27". I don't think 28" is necessary.

R'

Old 06-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Size ALWAYS matters!!!!!LOL!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I knew I was opening up myself for that one, LOL. Can the 26" or 27
do as good as the 28"?

R'

Old 06-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jokout

Size ALWAYS matters!!!!!LOL!</end quote></div>

If the ladies say it doesn't, they're just trying not to hurt your feelings. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

JUMBO Frank. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

I knew I was opening up myself for that one, LOL. Can the 26" or 27

do as good as the 28"?

R'</end quote></div>

Some 25" and 26" tires out-perform other 27" and 28" tires. But in the same model of tires, taller always gives you more ground clearance and is better if you have the power to turn them. A 2" bigger tire gives you 1" more clearance. A 4" taller tire would give you 2" more clearance. And as jokout knows, the guys who make the tires don't always tell you the <u>actual</u> size. It's usually + or - 1" or less, and sometimes it's right on the money.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

I like what Ive read and heard so far about the swamp-lites, they are supposed to be here on Thurs. so you know I'll be riding a bit on Fri. and all weekend on them. I'll ride from Farmington up to Rangeley and back its a good day trip about 80-100 miles total, so I'll get to put them through a variety of terrain and see whats up with them.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

MaineWheeler, do you have anything to report about the new swamplites? I am looking at buying a set and found your thread but no input after using them.

I have an 07 500 sportsmen and am looking at putting a set of swamplites on it. I am thinking of going an inch bigger than stock all around. Width, and height.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

I posted this in another forum around 6/15--but at end is update--Well did my first ride and it was a 55 mile ride through a wide variety of terrain, every muck hole I could find, some hill climbing & some rocky obstacle course stuff then finished with a jaunt down the old RR bed which is just about as good or better then a lot of our tar roads here-lol. The muddy stuff they didn't clog up that easy and the one time they did they cleaned them selfs out with a snap of the throttle and a lot of stuff that before I required 4x4 to go through I was able to do in 4x2, hill climbing & the obstacle course stuff they did awesome in but what surprised me the most was how smooth riding they were on the RR bed, no humming like I expected and steering was light, responsive and predictable. I am really curious now as to how they will wear longevity wise but times the only answer to that. Overall in my opinion they are going to be hard to beat for the price if they wear well. I hope this answers most of the questions about them, I know I'm happy with them and if they wear well will buy them again.--------------Oh I forgot to add this-I got 25x8x12 fronts and they have 3/4" lugs & 25x11x10 rears and they have a full 1" lug, for some reason out of all the Swamp Lites 25" down to the 22" series the 11" wide are the only ones to have a 1" lug the rest are 3/4 as far as smaller sizes---larger then 25" and lug size goes up over 1". Sizes and info---&gt; http://www.intercotire.com/site97.php *****6/30 update-well I have to say as the miles add up I am only more satisfied with them I have well over 500 miles on them and a lot of it was on hard pack getting to the good stuff and they are showing NO signs of wear--and when they do wear out as long as I am looking for a "all terrain" tire I will buy them again. They have proven to be a real do'all tire.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the quick response. I think I am sold on the swamp lites. The last thing I need to decide is what size to go with. I am afraid 27's will be too much for the 500 and I will lose too much power. I'm already wishing I had more power with the stockers.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

On my 500 Magnum I have yet to encounter the need for larger tires then stock the stock size. The 25" on my 500 end up measuring out at just a tad over 26"@4.5psi, I did run them at 6psi for the first 2 rides then dropped the air down to 4.5 and have had nothing but pure enjoyment. From what I read on others posts they all(SL) tend to run 1-1.25" larger then advertised when inflated. If you run the stock size you will NOT require clutching which is another thing to consider.

Quick Reply: Buying New Tires-Swamp-lites-I think--I DID