numbness, falling asleep feeling when
riding (my throttle hand). So far I have
replaced my grips with Gel/ANTI-VIBE
grips (helps alot) and riding gloves little
Gel-padding.

I was thinking of trying out some THUMB
ASSIST product to reduce hand/thumb fatigue
while riding. I saw posts from the past that
these things can be UNSAFE and some controversy.
BUT what is people out there using and DOES IT
REALLY help?

Cheers,

R'

Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default THUMB ASSIST products for ATV's

I've been really wary of them R, but it sounds like you need it. I saw them 50% off at Gander Mountain today and walked right by. I had some super soft gel grips on the T-blazer because the 2-stroke vibrated BAD until it was revved up to just the right speed. Sticky yellow grips with brown boogers of dirt. <u>Bad idea</u> to get the colored ones. I have CTS in both wrists but it's not real bad. I just have to pump my fist and shake my hands when I take a break. My thumbwarmer helps too. Sometimes I put it on low until it gets too hot to hold onto. I say try the thumb assist and see if it helps. If it doesn't you aren't out a lot of $$. I've seen about 4 or 5 different kind. There's an adjustable model too. I should wear (soft, no metal splint) wrist braces myself, but don't know what you need for your hands.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a thumb assist on my wifes vinson 500 as her thumb would hurt early into a ride. She had no problems with it and I would venture to say if it didn't kill her it won't kill anyone! LOL! I've ridden it as well and found it worthy. I think you should try one. I don't see how they can be so unsafe, but, then again, look at some of the people that ride atv's! I used to ride my ninja 900 long distances using a cruise control device where you lock the throttle in place and ride with no hands....less fatigue on longer rides. I'm sure if more people tried this they would have killed themselves....especially as fast as we traveled! I would buy another thumb assist if I deemed it necessary, but for some reason the wife hasn't complained about the popo....must be a better ride!

Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have one and I have had nothing but good things to say about it.

MM

Old 06-10-2008, 01:31 AM
Quad Patrol

My wife and youngest daughter use a thumb assist on their quads and they love them. On my daughter's, I heated the thumb part up and bent it so it fit her hand/thumb even better[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin RticKwad
I bought 2 of them for the Wifes and mine. One was adjustable and the other wasn't.
I didn't like the non adjustable one , so I gave that one to a neighbor and got another adjustable one, We both like em and I think they are safer then not havin one. I can clime the rough stuff better with out the quad jumping forward as I am bouncing over the rocks. You can really play with the adjustable one.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made one for my sons first quad when he was 6.I took a piece of 1/2in metal ( like comes with aftermarket car radios for mounting brackets)bent it to the shape of his hand,cut a hose to cover it,clamped it to the lever with 2 small hose clamps and wraped blk tape over it.Worked great

Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Have you given any thought to trying ISO VIBE ? We use this set-up on sleds and bikes so I see no reason why it wouldn't work for you on your ATV. The system isolates the vibration at the bars riser clamps and works like a charm. You can get it cheaper then this links price--this is just to give you a idea as to what the product is--- http://www.gripnripracing.com/...ts_id=78&reviews_id=15 -- After you read the article then look to the left side of it and click on the ATV link and they show the set-up being used on various ATV's(never noticed that before-lol)

Old 06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Range Rover

I've never had a problem with them on other people's atv but I personnaly didn't like the way they felt. Polaris to me has the easiest throttle of all atvs. My honda used to wear me out and my buddy's grizzly was stiff also. Hince to him putting the assist on his.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Cool, lots of good info. Yes I have
heard of these bar anti-vibe products. Supposedly,
my MAD-DOG grips have the anti-vibe feature
with its metal structure etc. I've seen those
bar ends and inserts from Dennis Kirk too.
Yes I imagine it all helps! This is good, I may
pursue trying it, sounds like alot of folks here
have positive things to say about the THUMB
ASSIST. Thanks Hobbles for the pic, I imagine
their Mad Dog brand too? I can pick them up
at my local Bass Pro store.

Thanks everyone!

R'

Quick Reply: THUMB ASSIST products for ATV's