Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 03:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Oil Change

Service guy I thought said at 10 hrs. Manual says 20 hrs. I would like to do this one myself. He also said that they do an all over check at what I thought was 25hrs or 250 miles. Do I really change the oil twice in 5 hrs? Is the 25 hr "all over check" worth it (he said the cost was $250 + parts). My 6mo warranty is almost up and she seems to be running great. (I know only 20 hrs in 6 months is pretty pitiful).

I was going to do a complete oil change at 20hrs and then again at 100 and every 100 thereafter.

I guess my question is if I follow the service schedule in the owners manual, am I doing something wrong? or, am I not understanding the owners manual right?

Thanks for your help!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Oil Change

Break in oil(only) change at 25 hours or 1 month or 155 miles, whichever comes first. Then a normal oil and filter change every 100 hours or 6 months or 620 miles thereafter. I changed mine at 12 hours(80 miles) which was the 1 month mark. Note: This is on an 800, I imagine the 500 is the same but not sure.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First Oil Change

My '06 500 EFI manual also said 1 month for the break in oil change, so you're 5 months overdue. At least you aren't 7 years overdue like my ex with her car that melted down / blew up.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default First Oil Change

I dont understand the 1month idea. 10hrs, 20 hrs that I can understand that is actual use. if I buy my ATV and dont use it the first month and I supposed to change the oil anyway? I understand the point of the "breakin" oil change as in a new engine, there is breakin material that will come off early. I guess I was just wondering how early. I did some more research and sounds like anywhere betweeen 10 and 20 hours is the norm. Mine now has 18 on it and ~150 miles. I plan to change the oil this weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Oil Change

Your fine, just change it now. The first oil change is very critical as everything is seating and there will likely by metal shavings in it that could cause engine damage if left in too long. It is my understanding that oil breaks down over time and that is where the time due comes into play. As for the 100 hours thereafter.....I will change mine more often, probly every 50. There just isn't any cheaper maintenance and engine protection than fresh fluids. Call me ****, but I want my 10k quad to last longer than yours! LOL!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Oil Change

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jam53142

I dont understand the 1month idea. 10hrs, 20 hrs that I can understand that is actual use. if I buy my ATV and dont use it the first month and I supposed to change the oil anyway? I understand the point of the "breakin" oil change as in a new engine, there is breakin material that will come off early. I guess I was just wondering how early. I did some more research and sounds like anywhere betweeen 10 and 20 hours is the norm. Mine now has 18 on it and ~150 miles. I plan to change the oil this weekend.

Thanks for the help.</end quote></div>

The time limits IMO are put there because the oil additive package breaks down over time, even without use, when contaminated. With a new engine there is a more oil contamination in theory, which speeds the additives breaking down. My .02.

Edit- Firehog beat me to it, I type too slow. LOL. I also change mine more often than the 100 or 6 months.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First Oil Change

The lubricants used in manufacturing plants is almost always water based. It looks like soap or milky water, not oil. They use it for machining all the parts, and the residue stays on all the parts when they're done. After having that stuff mixed in with my oil for a month I replace it. Hopefully all the metal particles from breaking in the engine go with it.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Oil Change

Yeah, I've known some people to flush the oil tank with oil after the first oil change to make sure and remove all the metal shavings. But with the price of this oil and whether or not that method is effective I don't do it. Besides, the oil drain plug is also magnetized to attract the shavings, so really shouldn't have to do that.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default First Oil Change

Wow I guess I am going to have to change mine monthly since I ride 160 miles almost every month, time to step it up!!!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default First Oil Change

I started to feel sorry for you....monthly oil changes.....but then realized how much you get to ride....so now I don't! LOL!

Quick Reply: First Oil Change