Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

heavy trailer

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heavy trailer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

The heaviest thing I ever pulled was a tree and I agree the weight does help. Any less and it might just sit and spin all four.</end quote></div>

I'm sorry but did you just say sit and spin?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Sorry I had to, now back on topic I've seen a 400 sportsman pull start a 3/4 ton pickup truck.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Range Rover
Default heavy trailer

Polaris pulls like an old mule dragging a plow.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default heavy trailer"></title><script src=

I have a homemade yard roller that I made out of a 300 gal tank. It has two 55 gal drums welded inside and lined with concrete between the drums and the tank. I estimate the weight at around 3500 lbs. I pull it with my 700 but my yard is pretty flat. Turning is a bit of a problem as that much weight pushes the rear of the 4 wheeler a bit but it gets turned. And, there is no such thing as stopping quick!

I can also add about another 1000 lbs of water inside the drums for that extra weight but I haven't found the need to yet.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default heavy trailer"></title><script src=

If you got you a koplin rear suspension lock you could pull two of those things and never have a problem with steering. (wal-mart.com) I love this thing!

Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default heavy trailer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hddoperator

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

The heaviest thing I ever pulled was a tree and I agree the weight does help. Any less and it might just sit and spin all four.</end quote></div>

I'm sorry but did you just say sit and spin?[IMG][/IMG] Sorry I had to, now back on topic I've seen a 400 sportsman pull start a 3/4 ton pickup truck.</end quote></div>

A couple of weeks ago I tried to pull down a tree that was halfway broken off several feet above the ground. It actually did sit there and spin all four wheels in low range. I dug four holes in the ground and the tree is still standing. This is the first time I tried to move an immoveable object and <u>not</u> burned the belt, so I'm pretty happy with my ATV. I think my truck would have spun all four wheels and not dug holes like that since my truck tires aren't that aggressive.

I just remembered that my dad once used my brother's Sportsman 400 2-smoke to pull his 4x4 truck when it was stuck in the snow.

Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default heavy trailer

When I ran those ATV pulls this summer, I found that I lost traction first.
On both the 500 and the 800 they were breaking traction about 20 feet before the sled finally stopped and at that point both of them were accelerating wheel spin but just couldn't get the bite and thus we didn't move. Rocking Steering side to side gave me an inch or two with each turn. So it is a tire traction issue.

On the Snow in the winter issue, I was out of town when the snow started dropping, The wife had left my Ranger 4x4 out at the Barn. Well it got buried in about 30" of snow and ice due to the snow, melt, freeze snow cycle. I could move it some and eventually I would have broke out but rather than really tear up ground etc, rockin back and forth I finally just backed off a bit and hooked my 800 up to it. That was all it took to get it out of there. Once I had it out of that hole it was sitting in then it could follow that paths I had cut.

But yea the Little Polaris ATV at 800 plus me, pulled my 4500lb ranger out of the snow drift..

Old 07-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Default heavy trailer

Hey ATV goo-roo,

What is the basic use of this product? My rear arms tend to bottom abit. Of course I know
I can get spacers or stiffer springs etc. I was looking at this and it would see to keep
the rear stiff, I just wonder what about when I trail and need the suspension to balance itself
from side to side. Thoughts?

Walmart link:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog....do?product_id=5871242

Old 07-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default heavy trailer

I never had one, but a suspemsion lock-out... locks out your suspension. It's locked up solid like there's no suspension at all. It can't squat no matter how much weight is on it. When you're done moving the overweight trailer or whatever you take the lock off and your suspension works again. At least that's my understanding of the thing.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default heavy trailer

Frank is right! I will be the first to tell you that you don't want to run down a trail with this thing on unless you want back trouble. The lock completely stiffens the rear. Like Frank said you can put what ever you want on the back and the suspension will never know it. I have pulled a 16 foot car hauler loaded with atvs and their riders around my yard with ease with my 500. If you want to pull a heavy load I would buy one of these. The brakets mount on the bottom of the rear a arms and the actual lock just hooks up with two tractor pins. I drilled a hole in my gun boot rack so that I can store the lock on the atv. It will take a total of 10 seconds to install the lock when I need it. The lock is usiversal so the brackets are longer than need be and stick out so all you need to do is grind the ends off.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default heavy trailer

I just cliced on the link and saw the price! I bought mine last year and it was only 20 or 30 dollars and now it is 60. They must have been selling pretty good.

Quick Reply: heavy trailer