Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

help...new head, cam, etc,, and wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help...new head, cam, etc,, and wont start

I confirmed the cam is lined up perfectly with the flywheel mark....valves are all adjusted to .006 on the dot. But here's what its doing. turns, turns, turns, then fires and if I hold throttle wide open it will rev up then die out. If I dont hold throttle it wont run at all. Longest it will run is 3-4 seconds max if I floor it. I've removed everything in the carb and sprayed the daylights out of the jets and every other orifice in the carb. Confirmed the cam is lined perfectly with the fly wheel, its got spark, and the fuel is pumping great. Carb bowl is filling up with gas as well?? Any ideas??

Old 06-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the jets out of the carb and clean them where you can see through all the holes.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ftwflh

Take the jets out of the carb and clean them where you can see through all the holes.</end quote></div>

I thought I did a pretty good job of that already?????? but I'll do it again for good measure tomorrow. I double checked the valve clearance and the exhaust valves were at .005 so i adjusted them to .006....confirmed intakes were both at .006

It seems like either a timing or carb issue?? But it ran before I replaced the head.... just ran at 3 mph max cause the exhaust lobe was shot on the old cam??

How many jets are there on the 96 500's?? should be two right....I cleaned it before I replaced the head and blew it out entirely???

Old 06-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Pro Rider

Check the throttle - there is a kill safety switch in the housing on the bars . It's operation is easy to figure out if you take a look inside .

Have the airbox on and comepletely assembled when trying to start it . I doubt that machine would crawl across the garage floor without an airbox on it .

Rick

Old 06-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Trailblazer

here is a quick video of issue so you can hear it??

http://vid30.photobucket.com/a...s/polaris/CIMG0087.flv

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickRitter

Check the throttle - there is a kill safety switch in the housing on the bars . It's operation is easy to figure out if you take a look inside .

Have the airbox on and comepletely assembled when trying to start it . I doubt that machine would crawl across the garage floor without an airbox on it .

Rick</end quote></div>

im going to go tear the throttle apart now...Thanks Rick!

Old 06-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Trailblazer

i unplugged the two wires coming from the throttle assembly on the handbars and no change. I did notice if I hold a little throttle and keep the starter going it will barely run....but only if the starter is running.....maybe i will just ride it that way [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

thanks again everyone for all your input/ideas and help.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

my thumb throttle went to 1/4" slack, ran terrible,put it to less than 1/8" runs great....

Old 06-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MECHANIKE

my thumb throttle went to 1/4" slack, ran terrible,put it to less than 1/8" runs great....</end quote></div>

can you elaborate please [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] do I adjust it?? whats strange is it ran before the new head was installed.....just ran like junk??

Old 06-20-2008, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

first see how much slack you have in your thumb throttle lever there should be very little 1/8"or less it adjusts on the cable a few inches up from the lever....

Old 06-20-2008, 01:45 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MECHANIKE

first see how much slack you have in your thumb throttle lever there should be very little 1/8"or less it adjusts on the cable a few inches up from the lever....</end quote></div>

I'll check it tonight.....im not sure how this would cause the problem im having though....it acts like the timing is off or the carburation is fouled up?? I would think if there was slack in the cable it will still run if I turned idle up or gave it 1/4 throttle etc.. ??? maybe my mindset is incorrect as I by no means have any clue as to what im talking about when it comes to 4 strokes [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: help...new head, cam, etc,, and wont start