Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman Wobbling

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman Wobbling

I have a 96 Polaris 500 Sportsman 4x4 that has a heck of a wobble to it when driving at slow speeds (almost like gears are different on each side which I know is not the case). If you increase the speed you still feel it but not as bad. I took it down a sand road today and you could see the right side seemed to be grabbing and not leaving a clean track. This does it regardless if its in 4x4 or 2 wheel drive. I raised the rear end and turned the wheels (in neutral) and it seemed to have a bit of a catch now and then, but nothing major. Is it time to start replacing u joints?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just for fun, jack up the whole quad, put it in 4x2, run it and see how many wheels are turning.
Check for wobble.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, Jacked it up and only the 2 rear tires turn. I did notice at a low speed you could see the rear tires have some sort of a catch on them. at an idle they would turn smootly and then catch.... start spinning again than catch. I did just check the chaincase fluid and there isnt any on the dipstick. I will go get some tomorrow and get that filled up. While I am at the Polaris shop should I pick anything else up?

Thanks for your fast reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 06-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

You don't possibly have something bent.....?

Rear axle after a big jump, rim center from a jump or getting pinched by rocks, front control arms or tie rods causing excessive toe in, front tire with a broken ply causing it to wobble all over the place, rear alxe not tracking inline behind the front wheels ......?

Wrench

Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

I dont think anything is bent. I dont jump anything. I only use this quad around the farm. Going from barn to barn and an occasional ride from farm to farm. Tires are less than a year old and it just started to happen. Did you see my previous post stating I jacked it up in the air in 4x2 and there appeared to be a catch in the rear end that would stop the tires from spinning at an idle? I could definately feel the wobble if I increased the speed, but it seemed to be some sort of a catch.

Thanks !!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

check ur u joints side to side movement and if they move at all, its time to replace the u joints, in order to get the axle out, there of the rear diff, there is a bolt behind the u joint on the yoke, it takes a 9/16 wrench to pull it out and then take a pry bar or something and pull it out of the differential

Old 06-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

Sorry for my ignorance. Am I looking for any side to side movement on the tires? or do I need to try to move the u joints themselves side to side?

Old 06-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Moto Psycho

When it's jacked up, in gear, parking brake off, grab each tire and and see if you can move it in and out, or turn it back and forth. It should turn just slightly back and forth, and not go in and out.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:59 AM
Trailblazer

Ok. I cannot move it in and out. and if I turn it back in forth (like the front wheels would turn) it has slight movement.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 01:04 AM
Moto Psycho

Sorry. I meant <u>rotation</u> forward or backward, like the way the wheels turn when you ride. If it turns too much you have at least one bad U-joint, or maybe even a worn out axle.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman Wobbling