Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Towing with a scrambler? and plowing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 01:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with a scrambler? and plowing?

Hi -- I'm looking for a 4x4 sport & utility quad. I test rode the Scrambler and from a ripping around the trails perspective, this machine is pretty sick. But can it be used for utility purposes and towing? Putting all the manufacturer's claims aside, has anyone used this quad to pull a 3-500+ pound load? I live at 7,000 feet (so engines lose a bit at this elevation) and hope to use it to pull loads of firewood uphill (I'm guessing each loaded trailer would be about 3-5 hundred pounds). Can it do this? How about plowing?

Please share your experiences. Based on advice in this forum, I'm also looking at the Wolverine... please post any experiences you have w/ that quad as well.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2008, 02:23 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Scrambler is rated to tow 850 pounds or at least it always was before 2008. The 2009 Wolverine is rated at 1102. A trailer hitch is optional on either one. I personally wouldn't use anything <u>oil-cooled</u> and as small as a Wolverine to plow with, because of how hot the engine gets when plowing. The Scrambler is liquid cooled and the 500 has enough power to plow streets in the worst Michigan winter. Been there, done that, with a Sportsman 500 during the storm of the century 5 winters ago. The Wolverine has a few inches less suspension travel front and rear, and won't be as nice to ride. The Scrambler has more power, and disc brakes front and rear to stop it.

The only thing I can find better on the Wolverine is RATED towing capacity, and they're claiming a lot more ground clearance, but may be talking about the frame and not the rear axle. The Scrambler blows it away in every other possible way.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got my little 2 wheel drive Tacoma stuck up to the axles in mud pointing down a steep hill.... I easily pulled the truck out in reverse uphill........ I didn't want to try and pull that thing in High Range...... The revers is so much lower geared. Used it to pull many of 2x4 quads out of the mud, with extreme ease!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I have a rear rack and made a custom box for my Bulldog to ride in. I have hauled some pretty good loads on her but nothing to heavy. I have been impressed with how well they plow the most! As good as most other full Utes I suppose. I love this machine overall!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never thought about using reverse for pulling anything but the gear reduction helps. It worked on Model Ts. It still works.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Trailblazer

Edenger,

I was in the same boat. I just picked up a used 2002 Sportsman, and I can attest that's the quad that you want! I have a plow for it and will be ready for winter, too!

I took this machine to the trails and have been having a ABSOLUTE BLAST!! See my other post for a small video.. I will be posting more soon as I just returned from The Badlands in Attica, IN. My two friends were on Yamaha sports quads and they felt every little bump. The Polaris was riding like a Caddy! Of course, the 4x4 took me places that they couldn't go.

I am rebuilding my girlfriend's porch and couldnt get a header down from the rafters. I attached a strap around it and then to the front of the quad. I threw the quad in reverse and babied it backwards.. down she came no problem!!

I think you'd appreciate the usefulness and power of this quad as a workhorse and on the trails likewise. It is a large mass quad (~750lbs?) , so when you get going, it's hard to turn sharply on the trails. Just keep that in mind, expect it, and be careful.

As for the wolverine--do you really want a utility quad trying to be a sports quad and/or visavera? I was looking at this before my Sportsman and that's the question that sealed my decision.