Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

does it hurt the AWD if I drive it on pavement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does it hurt the AWD if I drive it on pavement?

I don't do donuts. I do feel that something is happening when in AWD. When I flip the switch to 4x4, there is a pulling sensation from the front, kinda like swithing to 4x4 in a truck.

I have been leaving the quad in 2x4 mode much more as most of the driving I do is fairly flat trails, few mud holes. It's mostly sand and rock so the AWD doesn't do much for me anyway. I wouldn't have a quad without it though.

thanks

Old 06-29-2008, 02:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

I pretty much leave it in 2x4 until I need true 4x4, and that includes on dirt trails. I agree, there is a big difference in the way both of my quads feel when I go from 2 to 4 WD. But then again there's a difference on my pick-em-up truck when I go to 4WD as well. So I wasn't really expecting anything unusual with the quads.

I also agree the "turf mode" is wonderful for cutting tight turns. Don't know how much better it is for protecting the turf, but I do know on some of the switchbacks I've been on in the mountains having that few inches of turning radius has helped.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Turf Mode makes a big difference on the X2.

I have an 800 without it and I can't turn as tight as my wife can but at the same time, I am digging up turf on the inner wheel seeing clumps and a dirt trail going slow, or seriously digging a trough if I nail the throttle, while doing the tightest turns on her 500 in Turf I don't see any damage per se, unless I nail the throttle. Then that single wheel starts spinning like crazy.

On the AWD switch engaged question, I took the 500 down to the irrigation head via the highway tonight. It seem to be a little more grabby in the front end, Like my 4x4 pickup is. It also turned heavier and pushed more in the slow turns.

I normally run only in 2x4 or in turf on the 500 until I need the awd.

Regards

Old 06-29-2008, 04:21 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

SNIP I always run mine in 2x4 until I see the need for 4x4, and I do not turn on ADC until it is needed. My theory is it will save wear and tear on parts, may not be true but it gives me peace of mind lol.</end quote></div>
Exactly what I do.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

awd on my hawkeye makes no difference at all until the rears slip. i will ride along some flat sand and engage it, and it wont start until i gas it and rears spin and then it engages.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigBros_Farmtoys

</end quote></div>

I'd love to see them put turf mode on all of their sportsman's not just the long ones. It's extremely handy.

Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BigBros_Farmtoys

</end quote></div>

I'd love to see them put turf mode on all of their sportsman's not just the long ones. It's extremely handy.</end quote></div>

I'd like to see Polaris use something like a Detroit Locker style locking differential. For those not familiar a Detroit locks only under power/acceleration the rest of the time it free spools, so during turns the tires can rotate different speeds as long as you maintain the same speed. Give it a little more throttle and it locks like a spool. Very reliable and strong too.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 AM
Trailblazer

AWD isn't auto engaged on the newer models? It's one of those girly awd systems that has a mind of its own?

Damn, I was starting to like the new models hahaha.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Ludapower

AWD isn't auto engaged on the newer models? It's one of those girly awd systems that has a mind of its own?

Damn, I was starting to like the new models hahaha.</end quote></div>

The AWD is auto engaged if the switch is in "4x4", but IMO tight turns are enough difference in wheel rotation to engage it alot of times. But unless you have turf mode the rear wheels are always locked to each other. A locking diff as i described above would be nice. Off topic but, I must say overall I am extremely impressed with mine, it has went places I never would have believed it would go if i hadn't seen it myself. I made my own trail on one occasion, up a fairly steep hill pushing over numerous 1.5-2" diameter trees for about 75 yards. The trees were large enough to hold the front of the atv off the ground as it crawled over them, and it just kept chugging!!

Old 06-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Trailblazer

lol that's what I'm always doing. I don't like trails all that much compared to making my own.
Easy way to ruin the cv boots though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: does it hurt the AWD if I drive it on pavement?