Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

does it hurt the AWD if I drive it on pavement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does it hurt the AWD if I drive it on pavement?

I was wondering if the AWD system should be run on pavement. I have some trails around here that are on paved roads. I normally run it when I'm on the trails but I have been switching to 2x4 when driving down roads, kinda like in a truck they say you shouldn't run 4x4 on pavement.

What do you all say?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Put it in awd and forget about it. Awd only engages when the rears slip.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

The AWD only engages when the rear wheels slip right? If so it shouldn't matter. I know that is the way the book says it works, but I swear I can tell a difference in turning radius with it in 4x4, so something is going on. Even if it were engaged it depends on how you are driving on pavement, mainly straight line crusing and moderate to higher speeds would be fine. Personally I would try to avoid low speed sharp turns on pavement in AWD if it actually engaged all 4. I always run mine in 2x4 until I see the need for 4x4, and I do not turn on ADC until it is needed. My theory is it will save wear and tear on parts, may not be true but it gives me peace of mind lol.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I think the awd switch is just something to amuse us. If the switch was missing and the atv in awd all the time, you wouldn't know the difference and you would'nt worry about it.

Old 06-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Mongrol

I think the awd switch is just something to amuse us. If the switch was missing and the atv in awd all the time, you wouldn't know the difference and you would'nt worry about it.</end quote></div>

Maybe, lol But I don't think so. Basically what I was saying is I think very tight turns cause enough wheel rotation difference to engage the front when in 4x4. I don't really worry about it per se, just no need to run 4x4 most of the time. I like to see where it will go in 2x4.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the newer models you can leave it in awd and it only kicks in when needed. personally i leave mine off where i ride until i need it.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ya, its not really that hard to push that little thumb switch on the left handlebar when you dont need awd.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I also shut off the AWD when on pavement. With the X2 you can put it in Turf mode and it makes steering on pavement tons easier. 2wd is a better way to do it than leaving it in AWD. The rotations are going to be different between the front and the rears when taking a turn. I've tried both and it is a little harder in AWD. Is it kicking in? I don't know, but I can feel a difference.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

I leave mine in 2x4 unless I need 4x4 . I don't think it'll hurt anything to leave it in awd but remember if you go to do a doughnut and the rear wheels spin causing the front end to engage you may get dumped on your ****. Sudden traction half way through a donut on a 700lb machine can be a little spooky!

Old 06-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Trailblazer

I don't do donuts. I do feel that something is happening when in AWD. When I flip the switch to 4x4, there is a pulling sensation from the front, kinda like swithing to 4x4 in a truck.

I have been leaving the quad in 2x4 mode much more as most of the driving I do is fairly flat trails, few mud holes. It's mostly sand and rock so the AWD doesn't do much for me anyway. I wouldn't have a quad without it though.

thanks

Quick Reply: does it hurt the AWD if I drive it on pavement?