Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

A few questions for the mob......

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions for the mob......

Ok first off some tech questions for everyone.

I recently put a new belt on my 06 500HO and im having a strange issue. Sometimes the belt or clutch seems to grab when im at a stand still, when i come to a stop the machine seems to jump forward now and again? Im wondering if the belt is too short or something? It runs fine other than that.

Has anyone added auxillary lights to there machine to replace there pod mounted light? My front bag blocks my high beam and i was thinking of adding something either to the brushguard or front rack extensions.

Im thinking of adding the factory heavy duty front springs to my machine to offset the addition of a winch and the use of a snow plow. I was wondring what side effects these have on these machines. After using the plow all last winter my front tires are both leaning in at the top and i suspect ive worn out the darn things.

On the same topic i am considering ramping up my rear springs to accomidate more cargo and such, any suggestions or expieriance on this would be greatly appreciated.

And finnaly i am looking to build a cart to pull behind my atv to be used for hunting, fishing, camping and fire wood hauling. If anyone has any pictures or plans on one of these id like to see them.

Thanks for all your help and i look forward to any info you all can give me, thanks.....

Old 06-29-2008, 10:48 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

why did you replace the old belt? did you make to put the belt on so you could read the workds on it? sometimes the ebs bushing, or the washers get bad in the primary clutch. double check to make sure its the correct belt and make sure the engine hasnt moved or have a broken motormount.
as far as the front springs people have replaced them w/ heavier after market ones or put spacers in the front to take up the slack. hope that helps a little.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't seen your front tires but I think the "leaning in" is normal. Both of my 500's appear to lean in at the top when looking at them from the front. I noticed it first on my bike and when, I looked at the wifes it looks exactly the same. Both machines are brand new so I'm guessing it's normal.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

they do have some top canter(however you say it) but when you add front weight like a winch ,brush guard or what have you the weak stock springs begin to sag and need a little help. even polaris sells a front adjuster to add so you can get another 1" out of them.

Old 06-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Range Rover

I agree with Stendori,you probably have the wrong belt or a broken motor mount.Polaris sells rubber donuts to stiffen the front springs or if you want to stiffen it and lift it try springs from MV-7,X-2,or Ranger.All will fit and all have different spring rates.

Old 06-30-2008, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

I have the EPI HD springs on the front of my 500. The stock ones sagged miserably when trying to hold up a snow plow. The difference between stock front and EPI heavy duty is night and day. The 500 used to sit with the wheels tilted in like yours, but not is sits straight up with the EPI springs. Also, the ride is a lot stiffer in any riding condition. The stiffer ride and higher front end height help a lot in rough conditions. I can take hits of any kind in the front without bottoming it out. Rebound is a lot quicker with the EPI springs. I plan on swapping them out to my 800 when I get some motivation to do it. The 800 springs are about between the 500 and EPI stiffness, so I think they will be perfect on the 500 and the EPI will be perfect on the 800.

http://www.oconnor-negaunee.us/EPI.html

Old 07-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just an update...

Ok since i posted and read all the info you guys left, thanks by the way, heres what ive found. As far as the belt issue im still looking into it. I believe it may be a wrong belt issue but i am gonna swap the old belt back on and see what that does. I checked the motor mounting very closley and see nothing out of the ordinary. The belt i am using is a goodyear and a fellow Polaris rider told me he had probs of the same kind with his. It does hurt the performance at all only when trying to sit still.

As far as the front suspension i ordered a set of poaris heavy duty springs yesterday and will try them out. I looked at some pics i had of the machine when new and the stance was straight up, so i believe the combination of winch with the plow use last winter probly wore the springs out.

As soon as i find out more ill let ya know, thanks again!

Old 07-05-2008, 09:07 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i would stick to a polaris oem belt and i think you'll be happy w/ the HD springs. i still think i have some pics under "more pics" on how i changed to my spacers to gve you an idear on what to take apart to replace the springs in case you need an idear.