Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stuck in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck in 4WD

This may have been going on for a while but I just recently noticed that my 2005 Sportsman 500 is stuck in 4WD in reverse, high and low.

A friend told me to try reversing for a bit and that it might kick it back into 2WD. That seems to work, except I can't push on the throttle very hard before it kicks back into 4WD again in all gears.

The 4WD light shows up on my screen when I switch the 4WD switch to on, and it disappears when I switch it back to off like it's supposed to, but the gears themself never change.

I thought maybe I had a loose or broke cable, but if that was the case, I wouldn't be able to get it back into 2WD at all, right?

Any one had this happen before, or have an idea of what to try before I bring it to the shop to get fixed??

Old 07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stuck in 4WD

if its sticking or going into awd while in 2x4 then you might have a broken roller cage in the front housing. commoen if you switch from awd while spinning the wheels.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Stuck in 4WD

Thanks, I'll check that out. Also found some stuff on some other threads I'm checking out. Few people said that a low battery might cause the system to go crazy (and I am in need of a low battery). Also, someone mentioned that if the front wheels were "dragging" at all then the 4WD might kick in. I'm in desperate need of new breaks and they're rubbing right now so I'm thinking that may be causing tension and causing the 4WD to kick in. Both things I needed to fix anyway, so I'll take care of those and then see if the problem still persists.

Anything else anyone can think of would be great though! I just broke up with my boyfriend who is usually the one who takes care of this stuff so it's a whole new world trying to figure all this stuff out on my own!

Thanks again!

Old 07-03-2008, 08:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stuck in 4WD

sorry to hear about the boyfriend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] but the dragging as you call it shouldnt mean anything if its not in awd. check the voltage while the bike is reved up to say around 3,000 rpms and it should be 13.5 + or -. if not then its not charging coreectly and if it does have low voltage, then yes it will cause issues w/ the whole bike and not just the awd. by any chance did you get it spinning and drop it into awd while it was spinning? alot of times while going along or around a corner is when the broken roller cage will kick it into awd. imo.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stuck in 4WD

Do you know how much these roller cages are?
And are they bought just at the dealer....Or aftermarket.........
Thanks.....Caper.....

Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Stuck in 4WD

I think you can get them from a John Deere dealer. I'll try to find the thread on it.

ADDED:

HIGHLIFTER THREAD