Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'07 scrammy starter clicks, spins, no crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '07 scrammy starter clicks, spins, no crank

07' scrammy. just walked out to the garage yesterday and tried to crank my kwad. it made a click and spin sound and i thought the battery was low, it's been a couple of weeks since i had it running so i put the trickle charger on it for the night. this morning i tried to start it again, same thing happened, uh-oh, this ain't good. started it with the pull-rope, no problem. started to tear into it from the top down and have a look when i realized i might need some advice from other scrammy owners. if anyone has had a similar incident, i'd appreciate knowing the remedy...and if it's owner fixable...thanks in advance..

Old 07-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like maybe the benix is stuck. hopefully ftwflh or someone who has one will crime in.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

your meter should say 12.5 siting.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Remove bendix, pull up and wiggle out,clean with with contact or brake cleaner, grease both ends,dont loose washer at back,push down on top of bendix and grease shaft(this is where they stick the most) clean around inside housing and flywheel area while off. Be sure to light coat recoil with good quality rtv sealant. If teeth are badly ground down, Just replace now. If replacement needed,after market bendixes made in Brazil are offered from parts unlimited.Quite a bit cheaper than OEM. About $100 vs about $150 for Polaris.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the quick replies...one of the comments was to to remove the bendix from the recoil (pull rope?) side...since the last time i broke down something like this it was 1978 and it was a Honda FL250...no starter...is this going to be like a clock with springs and gears going eveywhere or will the recoil starter come off clean? it looks to me like the bendix separates from the starter at the parting line of the recoil starter...is this the point where you guys say "get the service manual"...

Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

i have a 98 scrambler had the same problem, no surprises inside, just unbolt the recoil caseing and pull off, bendix sits close to the top, just be sure you don't remove the nut that holds the plastic peice that holds the rop in the recoil case or the spring will fly out, VERY hard to put back in if it unwinds

Old 07-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

200es...how much coaxing is required to split the case?
i got the bolts out but i need to be careful here...

Old 07-06-2008, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

i just taped mine with a hammer, the seal holds it on sometimes tight, but it should come off with a few tapes of a hammer

Old 07-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

200ea...thanks for the reply...i'll just take my trusty brass hammer and maybe a small block of wood and go to tapping...see what happens...looks like i could have done this work without removing the front cowling and plastic, and breather box...just the side covers might have been enough...oh well, i'm getting to know my scrammy from the inside out...

Old 07-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

i want to thank everyone for their help. i got the pull-rope housing off, a bit of corrosion and rust in there. cleaned and lubed the bendix as suggested. works great now. i also learned that if you remove ALL of the fasteners, the cover comes right off. i missed the one at the very bottom. thanks again to all....

Quick Reply: '07 scrammy starter clicks, spins, no crank