Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cleaning your Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008 | 02:31 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Cleaning your Polaris

How often do you REALLY clean your ATV versus, just spraying if off after a ride?

My blue painted SPSMN 500 seems a bit easier to clean than the non-painted stealth black SPSMN 500.
Any tips for cleaning the black plastic up good?

TIA

TDAWG

Old 07-06-2008 | 07:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i pressure wash ours after every ride if we go thru alot of mud and notice that my 800 is much easier to clean then her 400 w/ the reg. plastic. found out yrs ago onher white trail blazer that the mud will stain the plastic if you leave the mud on too long. we just use like dawn dish detergent w/ warm water w/ a spong and wash them off. usually 2 times a yr we'll even wax them.

Old 07-06-2008 | 12:40 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Protect all is what we use at the shop GOOD for plastic,metal,chrome.etc To temporarily revive dull finishes PLEDGE furniture polish of all things helps! We use these on trade-ins to clean up and to remove water spots.

Old 07-06-2008 | 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

I only actually "clean" the ATV if it will be sitting for a while between rides. Otherwise I just spray it off after each ride. I can't remember the last time I actually polished it though. However, I do clean and use spray polish on my rims about once a week.

Old 07-07-2008 | 01:28 PM
Trailblazer

try tire foam cleaner after you hose off the mud

Old 07-07-2008 | 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

That's what I used this weekend. Turtle Wax's F21.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-07-2008 | 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

My 08 800 Stealth Black is actually painted. It is matte, but it is paint. I didn't realize it until I chipped a spot. I just spray it down with some soap in a spray bottle and hit is with the pressure washer. The blow it dry with a leaf blower(works great for getting all the standig water outr of everything) If I am real entergetic I will wipe it down with a spray detailer.

Old 07-07-2008 | 08:01 PM
Range Rover

I clean mine with soap and water after every use...

probably will be like when i get a new truck, wash it twice a week for 3-4 months, then let it go..lol

Old 07-07-2008 | 11:00 PM
Range Rover

I wash it after every ride, i use simplegreen forthe under carriage and regular turtel wax car wash for the rest.

Old 07-08-2008 | 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

Not nearly enough. I went to work on the chain the other day and I had over 3 to 5 inches of mud built up on the top of the swing arm. Just a little groove on the top that the chain was running in. I had a ball of mud bigger than a softball up around the top sprocket. Took lots of water and jabbing with a screwdriver to get it cleaned out. Heck my floorboards were missing most of the holes in the tread, they were just a cake of mud. Shocks were pretty well packed full. Took a very long time to get clean because I didn't have a pressure washer. I had to use a shovel to scrape all the mud off my driveway when I was done.

Had to do it all over again today after running in the mud. Easier though since it was still wet when i started washing it. It's still not "clean" but at least it isn't hauling around 20 pounds of mud now.

Quick Reply: Cleaning your Polaris