Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 01:38 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!

the 700 or 800 dont have pull starts and all the newer wheelers need a 12 volt charge to keep them running or they will either run like crap or not run at all. still not sure why your battery on the light would back feed though the switch though??

Old 07-12-2008, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

the 700 or 800 dont have pull starts and all the newer wheelers need a 12 volt charge to keep them running or they will either run like crap or not run at all. still not sure why your battery on the light would back feed though the switch though??</end quote></div>

Without looking at the scematic, I am guessing the power oulet is on the same side of the ignition/kill switch circuit as the ignition/ecm circuit, therefore supplying 12v from the spot light battery to the ecm/ignition circuit.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Stendori I agree, it's strange that the battery would backfeed. That would make the male end of the plug at the end of the spotlight cord hot all of the time,dangerous IMO.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

HO,

WOW, I almost want to try it on mine, my cuz has a similar high-powered spot light, may even try
his 700 tomorrow and see what happens. But you would think the power would run the opposite
way like it should charging your battery-light Vs power up on the ignition. Interesting, have you
done any re-wiring additions?

R'

Old 07-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

No wiring mods. The current can't flow to the spot light since the aux port isn't hot with the key off. <div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

HO,

WOW, I almost want to try it on mine, my cuz has a similar high-powered spot light, may even try

his 700 tomorrow and see what happens. But you would think the power would run the opposite

way like it should charging your battery-light Vs power up on the ignition. Interesting, have you

done any re-wiring additions?

R'</end quote></div>

Old 07-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hddoperator

Stendori I agree, it's strange that the battery would backfeed. That would make the male end of the plug at the end of the spotlight cord hot all of the time,dangerous IMO.</end quote></div>

Current takes the path of least resistance. The cord is hot on the end when plugged in to the light. 13.25v matter of fact. In the case of the spotlight the safe thing to do is not plug the cord into the light until after you have it plugged into the ATV. And don't plug it into the ATV until it is running. I wish the Popo was wired differently, but maybe they did it that way for a reason.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I understand how electricity works but I dont understand why the maker of the spotlight would design the light where it's capable of backfeeding the cord because not everyone will unplug the cord from the light first. This leaves the possibilty for something to get across the hot and the ground at the end of the cord possibly causing burns or even worse causing the battery to leak or explode. Thats why they say to never carry batteries (even small ones) in your pocket, a coin or pocket knife could short the battery in turn burning your leg or worse the "boys".[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm thinking if the spotlight battery has enough juice to run the fuel pump on your quad that it could be bad to short the end of the cord by mistake.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hddoperator

I understand how electricity works but I dont understand why the maker of the spotlight would design the light where it's capable of backfeeding the cord because not everyone will unplug the cord from the light first. This leaves the possibilty for something to get across the hot and the ground at the end of the cord possibly causing burns or even worse causing the battery to leak or explode. Thats why they say to never carry batteries (even small ones) in your pocket, a coin or pocket knife could short the battery in turn burning your leg or worse the "boys".[img][/img] I'm thinking if the spotlight battery has enough juice to run the fuel pump on your quad that it could be bad to short the end of the cord by mistake.</end quote></div>

I agree, you would think that they would have used a diode to prevent supplying power to the cord.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, I tried my 12v air pump in the acc. socket today, and it would not power up unless I had the key turned to the ON position. The pump worked with the engine running and not running.

When the key was OFF and I plugged it in, nothing happened. When the key was on and engine running, when I turned the key off the engine turned off and the pump stopped.

Mines an '07.

Old 07-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sheepdogMSP8117

Okay, I tried my 12v air pump in the acc. socket today, and it would not power up unless I had the key turned to the ON position. The pump worked with the engine running and not running.

When the key was OFF and I plugged it in, nothing happened. When the key was on and engine running, when I turned the key off the engine turned off and the pump stopped.

Mines an '07.</end quote></div>

I figured it out. I was using a rechargeable spotlight and the battery in it powers the ignition with the key off. See the posts above for further.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!