Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!

When I connect a device to the aux power outlet the igition comes on with the key off , as in the display lights up ect. If the bike is running you can not shut it down, not even with the emergency switch. Anyone else noticed this?

Old 07-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

I've used an air pump a few times from my acc. socket but have never paid attention to the things you've mentioned. I'll check next time if I remember.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks. If you did it with the bike off it would probably be hard to miss, it acts just like you turned the key to run. Fuel pump comes on and everything. I plugged in a corless soptlight, it was fully charged and I didn't even turn it on so it wasn't pulling an excessive amount of current. As soon as I plugged it in the ignition system came on. I started the bike and tried to shut it off with the key and the kill switch and it continued to run until I disconnected the spotlight I just tried my cell phone and it doesn't draw enough to cause the problem, in other words too much resitance in a cell phone.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

on my 800 you cant even use the acc. until the key is on.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: stendori

on my 800 you cant even use the acc. until the key is on.</end quote></div>

You can't on mine either. If I plug in my phone it doesnt charge until I turn the key on...eureka!!! I just realized..the battery on my recharable spotlight is powering the ignition circuit through the accy port. DUH. LOL. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

When I connect a device to the aux power outlet the igition comes on with the key off , as in the display lights up ect. If the bike is running you can not shut it down, not even with the emergency switch. Anyone else noticed this?</end quote></div>

Well...at least if you lose your key you can just plug something in and pull the rope. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Seriously though I don't think it's normal.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong I don't have an 800 but I thought someone told me it didnt have a pull start. If thats the case they prob. did it so that you couldnt shut your quad off with an acc. running essentially draining the batt. and leaving you up the creek without a paddle. However I could be totally wrong!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Rowe

Correct me if I'm wrong I don't have an 800 but I thought someone told me it didnt have a pull start. If thats the case they prob. did it so that you couldnt shut your quad off with an acc. running essentially draining the batt. and leaving you up the creek without a paddle. However I could be totally wrong!</end quote></div>

Hmmmm...I'm not sure, maybe the 800 don't have a rope. I thought all of the Sportsmans did.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Range Rover

no rope on my 800, and it will not run with a dead batt. I really do not like that.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Like mentioned no rope on the 800. Theonly time it does what I posted about is if the accessory that is plugged in has it's own battery and that battery is strong enough to run the ignition system, fuel pump ect. The current is feeding back into the ignition system and it's normal I believe. Haven't you seen those cheesy things you plug into cigarette lighters and they are supposed to give your car a "boost" to help start a low battery? Not that I believe those work well but the theory is basically the same. If you left an accessory plugged in it wouldn't drain the battery unless you left the key on,in which case, accessory or not the battery would be draining.

Quick Reply: 08 800 Aux power outlet weird!!