Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

No compression

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No compression

Please help me, my brother has been 6 days working at my Sportsman 500 HO. It was runnung ok, but I had ordered new parts for it and wanted to replace them! Since then it ran for about half hour then just died! No compression, can someone please help me!!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Range Rover
Default No compression

I don't know about everyone else but I need more info. What new parts did you order? Did he rebuild the engine, fire it, and it only ran for a half hour? What was replaced during the rebuild? Did it run fine or make any noises before dying?

Since it only ran for a short time,,, I'd guess there's something wrong with the head/cam. Like a stuck valve, broken cam drive, or??? Or perhaps the rod came loose from the crank somehow???

These are all blind guesses. The more info you provide, the better responses you'll get,,, at least that's the way it is on other forums

Old 07-12-2008, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No compression

I just found out my reed valves are damaged,I guess that's why there's no compression eh?
I know a piston,flange,and belt was ordered,not sure what else, my bro is now gone to the cabin.
Does anyone know how much reed valves cost??

Old 07-12-2008, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No compression

I forgot to mention,before it died,a loud sound like chains were rolling !

Old 07-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default No compression

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I just found out my reed valves are damaged,I guess that's why there's no compression eh?</end quote></div>
Reed valves on a four stroke? Huuuu?
Is this a two stroke of a four stroke engine?

Old 07-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default No compression

I don't know if it's a 2 or 4 stroke, what I have is a polaris sportsman 500 HO! We had called many dealers in the area,and this is what they could come up with.What do you think????? Any ideas would be helpful!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default No compression

i hate to say it, but youve got some serious isses w/ that engine by the sounds and ive need seen reed valves in this engine either. you wouldnt have put a piston in w/out new rings. i think the enigne is coming back apart by the sounds.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default No compression

I'd say stendori hit the nail on the head. No matter what I'd get someone who knows what their doing to go over everything-it sucks getting stuck in the middle of nowhere so you'll want to make sure everything is correctly assembled and functioning.imo

Old 07-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default No compression

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: polaris 700 IQ

I just found out my reed valves are damaged,I guess that's why there's no compression eh?

I know a piston,flange,and belt was ordered,not sure what else, my bro is now gone to the cabin.

Does anyone know how much reed valves cost??</end quote></div>

im pretty sure it is your discombublator valve... it is out of sync with the mugwomp overflow pressur switch... this is a normal thing when your reed valves come out of time....
(r u messing with us)..... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] i see dead people

Old 07-13-2008, 01:58 AM
Trailblazer
Default No compression

theres no reeds in a 500. You just killed the motor. Tear it back a part look for damages.

Quick Reply: No compression