Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman...are there any years to avoid?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008 | 10:36 AM
|
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?
Default Sportsman...are there any years to avoid?

Hiya,
I probably don't want to spend for a new Sportsman as much as I'd like to so am looking at used, ahem "preowned". I really would rather not get much older than 2005. I'm looking at pretty much the 500cc up to the 800cc and am just shopping around at the moment. Are there any particular years that perhaps I should avoid or perhaps seek out? I'm specifically looking for EFI as well.
Thanks for the inputs.
Cheers,
dublin

Old 07-16-2008 | 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

there were alot of 04 700 recalls

Old 07-16-2008 | 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

I don't think Polaris made a 2005 500efi. You will have to find a 06 500efi I believe or go with a larger engine. If it means dropping a year down for efi only (because of price) I would think really hard about that. Polaris changed a lot of things on the 2005's and up. Most notably the huge amount of on board storage. Everything I once upon a time carried in a rack pack is now stored on the ATV in the front and rear trunks. Also I think most would agree the 500 is the best all around engine size for power and economy. I have never found a trail that the 500 can't handle and where I wasn't able to keep up with everyone.

The difference between my Kawi Prairie 700 and Polaris Sportsman 500 on the trail is really nothing since you can't do 65mph threw the mountains (I have topped the Sportsman out at about 53mph on a strait of way). On easy strait of ways or ridding street legal on pavement the 500 gets about 10miles more to the gallon than the 700 does. After having something with a bigger motor, in all actuality, I don't know if it's really worth it unless I was going to be doing real "work" with the ATV. I am sure others will disagree.

Old 07-16-2008 | 02:23 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

The main years to avoid is anything between 1991 and 2008, (just kidding,couldn't resist that one, sorry,everyone). Also,if the name begins with a P and ends with an S, I would probably pass on that as well. (Ok, start beating me, I did it again !!)

Old 07-16-2008 | 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

i would say as long as you dont buy a yamadoggg you will be safe... but i would stay away from the 06 hawkeye for real

Old 07-16-2008 | 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

I totally deserved that.

Old 07-16-2008 | 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

no i rode blue for a while back in the YZ dirtbike days !!!! my buddy now rides a R6 i bought the CBR and then he tells me that he likes the bike but you just cant was off ugly... what a jerk

Old 07-16-2008 | 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

Dublin--I know you stated your brackets of what you're looking for, but I'm going to throw this at you regardless..

I bought a 2002 500 HO, having the same question in mind. I wasnt sure what I was getting into... was it going to fall apart? Will it blow up a month later? What did I find? One hell of a workhorse. A powerhouse of fun!! I've beat the snot out of this machine and it keeps running strong. I changed all of the fluids, ordered a k&n and have a jet kit that I'm going to put in soon..

I wouldn't be afriad to look a little older.. you'll save money and be happy--I hope!

I threw down $3300 USD with low hours and miles and I'm glad I didnt jump on a brand new $7000 machine like I almost did. Now I have some $$$ for a trailer, winch, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Drew

Old 07-16-2008 | 03:56 PM
Trailblazer

I can't get over the plastic Yamaha calls a skid plate on some of their ATV's. While the Yami's are collecting body parts of the rocks I'm waving good buy. It's almost like Yamaha doesn't actually expect people to take some of their ATV's off road.

Let's see what I get hit with for that one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2008 | 05:22 PM
|
Range Rover
Maybe you could have your wife talk to my wife?

Thanks folks for the inputs. I was really leaning towards efi simply because of the environment this will be used in. It would typically be getting used anywhere from 5000 above sea level to 11000 above sea level. As well, there will be some serious cold involved during the winter months. My thinking is EFI might handle these extremes better than a carb'ed engine. If my thinking is flawed, let me know. In any case, thanks again for the inputs.
Cheers,
dublin

Quick Reply: Sportsman...are there any years to avoid?