Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question

I'm just reading for tomorrow's install and the instructions say:
12. Route the yellow and blue wires up the front bulkhead and over to the right side splash guard location(contactor mount).

13. Mount the contactor to the top side of the splash shield,... Assemble so the green and black wire lead is toward the center of the vehicle.

14. Feed the red, black, yellow and blue wires through the flap on the side of the rubber contactor cover.

What red and black wires? There's only the blue and yellow wires coming from the winch. The contactor has a yellow, red, blue and black terminals. The black is already taken from a wire coming from the bottom of the contactor. The other green and black wire lead coming from the contactor plugs into the wires from the switch. Can I just the connect the yellow and blue wire from the winch to the color coded terminals on the contactor?

Doesn't anything go on the red terminal? Like a wire from the battery. It doesn't say anything in the instructions. All it says is to,

24. Locate the positive winch wire lead (near the battery) and remove the yellow shrink wrap. Using the longer battery bolt provided in the kit, connect both the positive battery cable and the positive winch wire lead to the battery.

I'd just like this to go as smoothly as possible. Then I can move on the the ATV-Guru front bumper and Ricochet A arm guards. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Thanks for the help!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:27 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default quick question

ok i'm assuming this a warn winch and you have aprewired sportsman right?? if so you should have 2 cables(red and black) already prewired to the wheel which is covered by a black rubber(maybe wire tied to the wheeler somewhere by the contacter plate) you you take the rubber off and you hook those 2 wires to the contacter on the color coded termanials on the contacter and the other 2 spots are for the winch cables, which also be color coded and you already know where the switch plug ins go. dont forget to hook the small red wire up in the pod from the switch to (i think) the orange black swink wrapped wire.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Default quick question

I do have the pre-wired one. Thats what I was thinking after I posted. It just didn't say in the instructions there was already a balck and red wire located near the splash shield. Also, the Ricochet A arm guards didn't come with instructions. So I'm assuming it's all bolt on, no drilling. Thanks for the help on the winch!

Old 07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default quick question

@#$%$#!!! Did I screw up my battery? Or anything else? I touched the wrench to the metal battery frame when I was taking off the positive wire. Put a nice mark on te wrench.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I can't belive it I can't even get through instruction #1. I have to go to Artesia where the dealer is located, 40 mles away, on Monday for work anyways. Better get what I need then. Thanks for the HELP!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default quick question

dude relax. lol your not the first person to do that. unhook the negitive side first if you want. when you take off the pos. just put a piece of tape around it to prevent it touching and you'll be fine. just turn on the wheeler and see if the speedo is working and check the voltage output w/ it running and if its 13+ then your fine. imo.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default quick question

I get so upset w/ myself sometimes. I checked the speedo and it was dead. Nothing came on. Turned the main switch to on. But nothing. And of course it woiuldn't turn over.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default quick question

did you have the key on when you hit the ground w/ the wrench and did you let the wrench stay there for any lenght of time before you moved it so it stopped sparking?? is this the 700 efi? if so check the fuese to make sure you didnt blow one(i think the smallest amp one). i hope you didnt fry anything. let us know.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:59 AM
Pro Rider
Default quick question

No, I didn't even have the keys on me. I went and got em after I did it. No, it was a real quick spark. I pulled away right when I did it it scared me so much. I took the batter out. I'mm gonna put it in tomorrow and be sure it won't start. Stendori, thanks for your posts!

Old 07-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Default quick question

lets us know.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default quick question

Everything is fine.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] I just need to slow down, look and think! I had the Off/Run/Off on Off.

Quick Reply: quick question