Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

auto oiler bad??

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto oiler bad??

i just bought a 1999 polaris scrambler 4x4 400 it was running pretty good then i let it sit over night rode it next day ran good filled with gas started to run like crap needle and seat were bad rebuilt the carb and when i took off the carb oil was in the filter and everything i cleaned it all out cleaned out the auto oiler it all looks clean but when i let it sit over night and start it up next day it whitesmokes a lot you leave a huge cloud of smoke behind you for about 3min of riding then it goes away some it smells like pure oil so thats what it is also i can run it wide open and it wont take off it takes like a 1min of running it wide open to take off then you stop same thing and i think its getting to much fuel im not sure though but something is not right i cant take off on ahill cuz there is not enough power once i start and get it up there though its not as bad im thinking i can block off the auto oiler and premix my own its 40;1 from what ive herd but how do i block off the auto oiler

Old 07-26-2008, 03:00 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Default auto oiler bad??

Check/replace needle and seat if worn(seat egg shaped,worn needle tip), can cause excessive smoking and think only oil related. check pump housing also at front of engine (3 screws holding pump cover) to see if rusted and pump arm moving properly. Pumps reliable unless subject to lot of water and and not checked often.(Admit NOT a good location for oil pump.) Also didnt read far enough that you replaced needle and seat(just getting old) If still smoking and loading up could be float arm worn or not level with carb body when inverted. Good luck.