Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sprotsman high beam and worklights

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:52 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprotsman high beam and worklights

Hey all,

Anyone know an easy way to get both the high beam headlight and the low beams to work together. When I turn on the high beam the lows go out. Will it put too much draw on the alternator or batteries?

Also, anyone know the bulb size for the work lights. My bike doesn't have the work lights hooked up but the wire harness is in the headlight pod and the sockets are in the light assembly. All I need is a switch and two bulbs. I figure I can buy them at the auto parts store if I know the wattage.

Thanks,
Bruce

Old 07-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Pro Rider

the rear work lights are sylvania 912 or 921, 921's are brighter, and I got a normal toggle switch, with a rubber boot/nut to hold it and make it water proof

as far as the headlight mod goes your can get a kit from quadovator.com for about 15 or so or get if off ebay, which is where I got mine, for $4, & no it doesn't put too much strain on any thing

I highly reccomend doing both mods

Old 07-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Tyler, I'll look into both mods.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Pro Rider

no problem

Old 07-28-2008, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been wanting the headlight mod but just havent ordered it yet, but recently I've been doing some night riding and if you get it right in between low and high you can get all three to stay on. I rode the other night and it never clicked out of all 3 and things were getting pretty rough as the night went on. So try doing that and you might save yourself a couple bucks and some time hooking it up. Maybe buy the reverse light mod instead.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK Rowe I'll try that. The reverse light kit sounds a little expensive and extensive to install The switch on the light pod will work fine for me.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:18 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can manage to hold the switch halfway, and on some ATVs you can't, it can burn out the contacts in the switch because it's barely touching either side. That's why montanajacks and quadovator make the headlight improvement kits. I had a few from montanajacks before I found out they're half the price, shipped, at quadovator.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did the headlight mod by adding a little relay available at any auto parts store. I hooked it up so when the high beam went on the lows turned on also. No extra switch, just a little relay under the front rack. My top of the line 800 didn't have the worklight option either (How cheap can Polaris get?) The harness is there for the switch (bought one from the Polaris parts counter) and added it to the instrument housing (It's all marked out on the inside for you!). I used the 921 lights as that seems to be what my son had in his Sportsman with work lights from the factory. Truly amazing that Polaris includes the light bulb sockets but can't quite supply the lamps themselves. Get a $9500 ATV and they can't include what would be to them about $10 at most. Am I sore? Sure! However, I love my ATV even if Polaris is CHEAP. I'm kind of amazed it came with two keys!!

By the way, the reason that they don't let you put on all lights at once is that some states only let you have two headlights on a MC or ATV. (I've seen lots of Harleys and Hondas with three however)! It sure is nice to have all the lights on at once. I'm not at all worried about some cop, they usually don't know the laws about lights anyhow....I have super bright H.I.D.s (high intensity discharge) on my car and truck. Nobody ever says a thing. After all, a lot of new expensive cars come with them nowadays. Light good....dark bad....Being able to see in the dark off-road....Priceless!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: dragstripvette

Being able to see in the dark off-road....Priceless!</end quote></div>

You got that right. When I had my Trailblazer I missed a turn in the trail and went straight down a snowmobile trail instead. No wonder I couldn't catch up to my buddy. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I was on the wrong trail and eventually we both back-tracked until we met. I think that was the night we ran out of gas too. I put the Scrambler-type headlight kit on it immediately after that. I'll never have a Trailblazer without Scrambler lights again.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Jumbo I just noticed you replaced your stolen quad. Wheres the pics?

Quick Reply: Sprotsman high beam and worklights