Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CHANGE YOUR OIL FELLAS

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default CHANGE YOUR OIL FELLAS

good advice from a polaris tech who works on this stuff. just me personally, i dont cheap out products such as oil and what not when i spend around $14,000 for these 2 toys. imo.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I was saying is not only do I check it EVERY ride but on my old machine when it starts to get to hot-oil overheating the light goes on, now thats 23 year old tech. and these cheap SOBs will charge you over 6g's and they cant give you a oil temp sensor? I'm not talking a low oil idiot light but a oil temp sensor, it don't even have to give you a number reading just a light that goes off just like when your coolant gets to hot--thats cheap sh*t no matter how you slice it especially when they did it on a 23 year old machine standard equipment.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think you understand how much it costs to build a wheeler, yeah, its a 15 dollar sensor, and it may seem stupid to not put it in there, but if polaris put everything in their wheelers that everyone wanted, it would cost 15k for a ATV. Those "15 dollar sensors" add up.

And why would you need a hot oil light? Its not a air cooled motor, that dosen't even make sense.

EDIT: And what does a hot oil light have to do with the first post? I think the rest of us were talking about a low oil light. And all sportsmans/rangers have a coolant temp light/warning.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:19 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koerbs

I don't think you understand how much it costs to build a wheeler, yeah, its a 15 dollar sensor, and it may seem stupid to not put it in there, but if polaris put everything in their wheelers that everyone wanted, it would cost 15k for a ATV. Those "15 dollar sensors" add up.

And why would you need a hot oil light? Its not a air cooled motor, that dosen't even make sense.

EDIT: And what does a hot oil light have to do with the first post? I think the rest of us were talking about a low oil light. And all sportsmans/rangers have a coolant temp light/warning.</end quote></div>

+1. It already has one idiot light to tell you your engine is too hot. You don't need two lights telling you it's hot.

Besides, if a part costs $15 and they make a million machines, that's $15,000,000 more dollars worth of parts, plus labor to install them. No manufacturer wants to spend millions of extra dollars.

I know they put sensors in some stationary engines like generators, but I wonder if an oil level sensor would even work when you go up and down hills, and sidehill, etc.? Maybe it would keep blinking on and off and everyone would just ignore it?

Old 07-31-2008, 07:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have a low oil light on my vmax, but where its located in the engine when i push it on very hard take offs i can actually make the oil light come on and then go back off because the oil moves away from the sensor, so im pretty sure it would that all the time on a wheeler in non straight trails. imo.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

You guys are picking this apart to much - If they sell a after market one I'd buy one if it was a concern to me, but its not. I was just replying to 02magnum500's comment and stating the simple fact that 23yr ago they were doing it and I think they still should. All my Harley's not only had a idiot light for low oil but also had and currently have a temp gauge built right on the fill tubes dip stick like this--
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/...leafCatId=21605&mmyId= -- simple but effective and a EXCELLENT idea on any motor as temperature is what causes oil's viscosity to break down.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Pro Rider

If you can run oil 5k+ miles in a V-8 engine, I don't think you have to worry about viscosity breakdown in a little 4 wheeler motor for prob 300-500 mile intervals.

If it is not a concern to you then why did you get worked up about it in your post? You said "those cheap SOB's charge you 6g's for a machine and can't even give you a temp sensor." Then you say something about buying a aftermarket part but its not a concern to you. I'm confused, what exactly are you mad about?

Old 07-31-2008, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

does any of this crap even matter? if you are this concerned about your oil level or temp, just go and buy yourself an oil temp gauge or oil level gauge!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:04 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koerbs

EDIT: And what does a hot oil light have to do with the first post? I think the rest of us were talking about a low oil light. And all sportsmans/rangers have a coolant temp light/warning.</end quote></div>

+1. It already has one idiot light to tell you your engine is too hot. You don't need two lights telling you it's hot.

Besides, if a part costs $15 and they make a million machines, that's $15,000,000 more dollars worth of parts, plus labor to install them. No manufacturer wants to spend millions of extra dollars.

I know they put sensors in some stationary engines like generators, but I wonder if an oil level sensor would even work when you go up and down hills, and sidehill, etc.? Maybe it would keep blinking on and off and everyone would just ignore it?</end quote></div>

Yeah but it's not going to cost Polaris "millions of extra dollars" for the parts. After the initial design and tool-up is paid for, just charge me, the consumer, an extra 50 or 75 bucks. that covers the parts, and then some. I'd gladly pay that for the peace of mind of knowing if my engine gets too low on oil.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

KOERBS get a clue mileage has NOTHING at all to do with the statement about oils viscosity break down temp, once oil hits a certain temp it starts to break down even if it has 1 mile on it. -- reread the whole thread S-L-O-W and maybe you'll understand. This is my final post on this subject. Ive never had anything but kindness and help given from a great bunch of guys & gals here on the forum and I will not argue with someone over the net about something I never said---MAD?????-lol-NOT. Annoyed with someone putting words in my mouth--YES

Quick Reply: CHANGE YOUR OIL FELLAS