Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CHANGE YOUR OIL FELLAS

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CHANGE YOUR OIL FELLAS

I did read it, you went on a rant about how polaris is cheap and should have put a oil temp sensor in, then you say its not a concern to you. Then you mention about oil break down, but with synthetic oil, you could boil over a motor, run it hot for awhile, and not cause the synthetic oil to break down whatsoever. I never put words in your mouth, the posts are up here for everyone to read.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jodaanja

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koerbs

I don't think you understand how much it costs to build a wheeler, yeah, its a 15 dollar sensor, and it may seem stupid to not put it in there, but if polaris put everything in their wheelers that everyone wanted, it would cost 15k for a ATV. Those "15 dollar sensors" add up.

And why would you need a hot oil light? Its not a air cooled motor, that dosen't even make sense.

EDIT: And what does a hot oil light have to do with the first post? I think the rest of us were talking about a low oil light. And all sportsmans/rangers have a coolant temp light/warning.</end quote></div>

+1. It already has one idiot light to tell you your engine is too hot. You don't need two lights telling you it's hot.

Besides, if a part costs $15 and they make a million machines, that's $15,000,000 more dollars worth of parts, plus labor to install them. No manufacturer wants to spend millions of extra dollars.

I know they put sensors in some stationary engines like generators, but I wonder if an oil level sensor would even work when you go up and down hills, and sidehill, etc.? Maybe it would keep blinking on and off and everyone would just ignore it?</end quote></div>

Yeah but it's not going to cost Polaris "millions of extra dollars" for the parts. After the initial design and tool-up is paid for, just charge me, the consumer, an extra 50 or 75 bucks. that covers the parts, and then some. I'd gladly pay that for the peace of mind of knowing if my engine gets too low on oil.</end quote></div>

I agree with everyone else who thinks that there should be a low oil light incase you jamb a stick in your oil filter or something, but I think a oil pressure sensor should really be the solution. Going up or down hills you won't loose pressure, but a low oil light will come off and on like others have stated.

I'm sure you could find a setup to make work, but if you check your oil before every trip, you will be fine, cuz if you have a sudden massive oil leak or blow out, it will sound like your header pipe came loose, you will shut it off immediatly anyway. Synthetic oil can save a motor especially if the motor is out of oil for a short peroid of time. I used to go offroading with my 97 V-8 s-10 alot and would constantly have the oil pressure gauge drop and idiot lights flashing climbing steep hills, I put about 100k on that motor and never had a compression or oil comsumption issue.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:41 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't check my oil every time I ride like the owner's manual says to. Sometimes I back up and see if there's oil on the ground or not. There never is and I take off. Unless it starts smoking, overheats, or otherwise acts up, I'll just assume that it still has oil in it since the last time I checked. I've have very little oil comsumpsion on any of my quads. A one quart bottle of oil keeps it topped off for years, in between twice a year oil changes.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

I don't check my oil every time I ride like the owner's manual says to. Sometimes I back up and see if there's oil on the ground or not. There never is and I take off. Unless it starts smoking, overheats, or otherwise acts up, I'll just assume that it still has oil in it since the last time I checked. I've have very little oil comsumpsion on any of my quads. A one quart bottle of oil keeps it topped off for years, in between twice a year oil changes.</end quote></div>

Not a bad way to go about it, thats what most of us do I'm sure, if you go for a short drive a few times a week or whatever, checking your oil before every run is redundant.