Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

awd and speedo not working?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default awd and speedo not working?

First let me say that I took this info from many other riders in here. I had to read about 5 threads to figure it all out. It seems to be a common problem. From what I can gather this trick works for at least 500-800 bikes. So im trying to compile it all into one. This 10 min fix saved me about $300

I noticed my speedo was acting up on my 2002 700 sp. the cover had some small cracks from sun damage and when I washed it, it got moisture in the pod. Although acting up it still worked. It got left out one night in a bad rainstorm and I guess more water got in it. (I figured the circiut would be waterproof because of the nature of the machine, guess not) The next night we rode and it was acting up much more than normal. After about a 6 pack of beer and 1 and 1/2 hr of riding it was really starting to **** me of so I hit it and... no more speedo. I didn't care. I don't need no stinkin speedo... But I did need Awd. I didn't know it was all connected until i got buried in 2wd. Oops. So I got on here and some other guys helped me figure it out.

First try to dry out your speedo. Take off the top cap on the headlight. remove the wiring harnesses and it will be free. take out the pod ant if you use a thin blade or screwdriver you can get the clear plastic off. then remove needle(it pulls off) speedo face(stuck on). On mine there was 4 #10 torx screws holding the actual speedo in the case. Remove this. once you get it out, you can take of the lcd from the backside by removing 2 screws. ran out of space.. will reply with rest

Old 08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can take off lcd display from backside with 2 screws. dry with dryer put back together. If you are lucky this will fix the speedo and the awd. If the speedo is toast like mine you have 2 options, buy a new speedo or bypass the speedo saftey mech. for the awd. the speedo wont allow awd to work unless there is a speed reading. It is there to keep dumb people from engaging awd at 60 mph and grenading the diff up front. The highest you can engage safely is 12 mph.(I think)
To bypass this system it is very simple. Take the 6 or 12 prong plug out of the speedo. look for a brown and white wire(one wire) Take a paperclip and push the wire out of the plug. Attach this wire to a good ground source. I loosened my handlebar bolts and sandwiched the wire between the retainers and tightened it really tight. my awd works like new. switches on and off like it should...minus a speedo.

hope this helps someone like it helped me. if I forgot anything feel free to add.

The following users liked this post:
Nitroveins (10-01-2021)
Old 08-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to know. I'm sure there will be lots of people who will try this.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

So it seems that I had to do this as well with my 2001 Sportsman 500HO. I didn't have to crack open the speedo (although there is sometimes condensation in there... hmm). All I did was ground the brown/white wire that comes from the 2 hub coils and goes to the speedo (they eventually join to become 1). After that everything works, including the disengage in forward vs. neutral/revserse, AWD switch & the AWD light. As far as I can tell the only thing missing is the rev cap for engagement - that will have to be the riders discretion. Not a big deal for most.

Thanks for the tip, sp700cheapskate. Saved me a bundle.

-Brett

Old 08-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I kind of have a similar problem...my speedometer does not work but the lcd stuff does. I noticed that the needle is actually on the underside of the pin(button for the lcd) rather than on the top side of it. My awd does work so the speedo is registering some mph....any ideas what to do?

Old 08-09-2008, 05:17 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If the AWD works but the Speedo does not work ,then its your "Hall Effect" sensor on the right front wheel on the brake disk , $50-70 and easy to change. If my Speed get toasted there is no way I,m replacing it for $300 i will be doing the by pass trick also.

When the Hall Effect goes out the only thing on the speedo that works, is the displat lights and "Hour meter" on mine,but AWD is unaffected.

Old 08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats what I was thinking...thanks!

Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

you can fix the analog speedos without having to replace, i just posted it a few days ago.. took a few more mins then this way but hey it saved me 300 bucks and we would be willing to do the same for anyone that has this problem. simply open the speedo up and if there is a piece broke of the pcb that needs resoldered we would be willing to do that for you instead of the 300 to fix it. thanks Ben

Old 08-11-2008, 06:29 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

If you Have the "anolog" speedo instead of the "digital" speedo found on the 2000 and newer models.

Like this one from a 97 Sportsman

You can smash the speedo right off and have AWD because it had nothing to do with AWD operation back then.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the wire transfee trick was posted on time ago on this and other forums but an update is real god to have.

Quick Reply: awd and speedo not working?