Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help!! Tire installation nightmare!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 09:15 PM
BK
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ordered a new set of Duro mud and sand tires. They look like Wooly Boogers. Got a great price, only $78 per pair. We tried a new way to break them loose from the rim that worked very easy and quickly had the old Titans off the rims. The nightmare part comes in next. The tires had been strapped together for shipping. The straps were pulled so tight that the center of the tread is folded down so the side walls are only about 4 inches apart. I can't get the tires expanded enough to inflate them. I am sitting here with the rims and the new tires and am at a loss to know how to get them installed. Why did they do this?!! Anyone got any ideas for how to get these inflated? Normally we put a ratchetting tie-down in the middle and tighten it. That won't work because the middle is pushed down in. HELP!

Old 01-27-2001, 10:13 PM
Trailblazer

BK have you tried putting a rope around the ID of the tire and rim and if you have a strong enough air compresser it might work

Old 01-27-2001, 10:13 PM
BLH
Pro Rider

I’ve had the same problem, what I did was with tire off the rim, put a tube inside and set the tire in a warm place for a couple of days. Good luck, wish I had an immediate answer, but that’s the only thing I can think of to do.

Old 01-27-2001, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

Your going to have to bring them to a tire shop so they can force inflate them. They put the tire on an air machine with a high psi rating, when they push the peddle down a quick rush of air fills in the tire instantly exspanding the bead sealing it to the rim.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 01-27-2001, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same thing happen to me a year ago with mail order tires. We had to put tubes in the tires to get the beads to seat. After you run the tires for a while with the tubes in, you can deflate them and remove the tubes.
Nove

Old 01-27-2001, 10:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alot of tire stores have a tool called a "Bead Cheetah," it forces a tremendous amount of air in a small amount of time. Anybody who knows how to use this would probably be happy, with a $5.00 tip.

Old 01-27-2001, 10:43 PM
Range Rover

Ok this may sound stupid but it works and works well for me Take a spray can of something flamable
(Fire start)works well spray abit twice inside around the rim STAND BACK throw a match in BANG
tire is instantly inflated and the bead is set

You may think I am crazy but I have done this many times out on the trail for people whose bead has become unset and there tire is flat and thay cannot belive it works and it does

Hope this helps your friendly PYRO,,,,,,,,lol

Old 01-27-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Good idea Millenium...I once saw it on a 4x4 documentary on The Learning Channel. Like you said...stand back!

Old 01-28-2001, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

You can try using a ratchet type strap around the outer circumfrence of the tire too. If you can ratchet it down enough it might give you enough spread to pop the bead with air. Dont forget to take the valve out of the stem so you can get in a better volume of air. Worth a try!

Old 01-28-2001, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

On that show on TLC or Discovery (I forget which one it was) they used starting fluid.

Quick Reply: Help!! Tire installation nightmare!!