Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New set of tires/rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New set of tires/rims

the only tire my dealer keeps in stock are the mudlites... i will see what my cousin is doing tonight and try to take some pictures of those 28" 589 next to a 500 ho with stockers or a king quad 700 with stockers and post them up for you guys

Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: 19TankHead60

Goin w/ a set of 589's. Gonna need em for my January bow hunts in the high plains/desert and September elk hunts in the mountains after the June and July monsoons. Anyways, have the 25x11-19 stock rears and 25x8x12 fronts. Fronts are no problem finding in the stock size. But the rears come in a 25x10x12. I don't really want a skinnier tire. Would the handling characteristics change that much? And what about going with a 26x9x12 front and 26x12x12 rear? I'm assuming that I'd be losing a little power and wider turning radius. Any advantages or other disadvantages to going with a 26" tire? Do the 589's come in at the advertised height? Any ideas on what the dealer might say with my 4 year warranty? Thanks for the help!</end quote></div>

You could look into Carlisle ACT XLR 6 ply Radials which come in 25x8x12 fronts and 25x11x12 rears .

Old 08-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Spdecat

Goin w/ a set of 589's. Gonna need em for my January bow hunts in the high plains/desert and September elk hunts in the mountains after the June and July monsoons. Anyways, have the 25x11-19 stock rears and 25x8x12 fronts. Fronts are no problem finding in the stock size. But the rears come in a 25x10x12. I don't really want a skinnier tire. Would the handling characteristics change that much? And what about going with a 26x9x12 front and 26x12x12 rear? I'm assuming that I'd be losing a little power and wider turning radius. Any advantages or other disadvantages to going with a 26" tire? Do the 589's come in at the advertised height? Any ideas on what the dealer might say with my 4 year warranty? Thanks for the help!</end quote></div>

You could look into Carlisle ACT XLR 6 ply Radials which come in 25x8x12 fronts and 25x11x12 rears .</end quote></div>

Do they perform as good as the 589's? Matthew Bell at www.ATVOutfitters.net helped me pick out the 589's. He likes the durability and performance in mud/snow. He really liked the Maxxis Bighorns but he did not consider them as good in the mud/snow as the 589's. I will check em out though. Thanks!

Old 08-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should also check out Kenda Executioners for mud and sand. They're 6-ply with rim savers to keeps your rims from getting beat up. They look a lot like 589s, but with wider spaces between the lugs. I don't know the lug height on them but they're both supposed to be great in mud. I would love to see both tires side by side for a comparison but dealers around here don't stock many mud tires. http://www.kendausa.com/atv/utility.html#executioner

EDIT: In another forum a guy said the lugs on the Executioners are 1.5". I would still love to see them instead of just pictures. The 589s I've seen in real life didn't look like the lugs were that tall.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

You could look into Carlisle ACT XLR 6 ply Radials which come in 25x8x12 fronts and 25x11x12 rears .</end quote></div>

That is a tough lookin tire. Comparatively speaking, ATV Direct has some very good prices on em too. I'm not finding much info on em when I do searches though. But, I will ask more about em. Thank you for the info.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:38 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Carlisle ACT is the same exact tire as the Polaris PXT, but without the Polaris name on it. I'm not sure if you all know that. Everywhere I look for the ACT XLR, it shows a picture of the ACT. I'm assuming the XLR is better and has taller lugs but I still can't find a picture anywhere. Help!

Old 08-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Range Rover

Tank, looking killer ......check put my pics as we have the same X2. looking to see your pic's with the new skins

Old 08-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mat is where i got my xtr's and he was decent of the price. to me the 589's are a great overall mud tire but dont think they would be very smooth on hard ground and there fairly heavy i do beleave. onesavage runs his 589's in the snow and can tell you how good they are. i like my xtr's compared to stockers for the (limiled) time ive had mine in snow. they will dig right out of site. if your looking on doing mostly mud/swamp riding get something w/ a deep lug in the tire as well. just remember bigger/heavier tires rob power.

Do they perform as good as the 589's? Matthew Bell at www.ATVOutfitters.net helped me pick out the 589's. He likes the durability and performance in mud/snow. He really liked the Maxxis Bighorns but he did not consider them as good in the mud/snow as the 589's. I will check em out though. Thanks!</end quote></div>

Old 08-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ZAKAZIM

Tank, looking killer ......check put my pics as we have the same X2. looking to see your pic's with the new skins</end quote></div>

You too bro![img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] How do you like your side guards? I got my $100 certificate yesterday for taking the ATV safety rider course. Lookin for something good to put towards a purchase at my Polaris dealer. If you have any suggestions please comment. All the best to you and your loved ones!

Old 08-09-2008, 01:08 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There is a bigger difference between 25" and 26" and up tires vs 24" to 25" tires. Most tire Manufactures do not offer the 1"+ lugs until you move to there 26" tires, the larger taller lugs is not offered on there 25" and under tires.

Quick Reply: New set of tires/rims