Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

gen IV speedos

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen IV speedos

fellow riders, i found a post previously that helped alot and thought i would share my results with everyone.. Concerning the speedometer that tends to go bad and thus causes the awd to no longer work on the 500 sportsman. If you take the time to crack open the top ring on the speedo you can then remove the plastic window, the needle pops off. next simply peel the face of the speedo off... there are three small phillips head screws that hold the speedo assy in there. once this is all removed you can then look for the obvious piece that has come unsoldered. on mine and the majority that i have seen it seems to be one small black and silver three prong piece. you then need to get someone that is familiar with soldering electronics and have them unsolder the round piece blocking it, resolder in the broken piece pay close attn to the bottom of the prongs, one end has a square and one is round. once this is soldered in, resolder the round piece and put it all back together the same way you took it apart. personally it worked great for me and saved me 297.00 because my dealer said there was no way to fix a bad speedo, that you must replace it... well they are wrong.. what the heck if it doesnt work you had to buy a new one anyway.. right.. good luck to all who try it.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gen IV speedos

I just finished bypassing the faulty ground on my speedometer to get my AWD working. It was much simpler, but not quite a complete fix. I will have to keep this in mind if I ever get ambitious. I would be nice to have everything as good as new.

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

-Brett