Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Won't Idle.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008 | 11:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Default 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Won't Idle.....

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: hobbles

Mornin jjump

It sounds like you just need to adjust your cable for your idle to work. You adjust it by the cable boot on the handle bars. It's a normal thing to do on a new quad.</end quote></div>

It tells you right in the picture you posted of the owner's manual that what you're sayng isn't right. SCRAMBLER500XXX is telling you the same thing the manual is and I am too. I'm glad it worked for you but I don't see how the cable, when it has the proper amount of slack in it, can affect the idle speed. The cable has no tension on it and it isn't holding anything open at idle.

Old 08-13-2008 | 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin jumbofrank
The cable stretches and it won't have proper amount of slack in it, That's why I suggested to adjust it. That is the first thing to go wrong. I do believe that jjump asked for "Any and all advice". That was mine and it worked for the ones I worked on.

Old 08-14-2008 | 02:42 AM
Range Rover

LOL ------- It sounds like the Rum & Coke kicked in (or the testastrone) [spell check]!

I've had the same argument with my buddy. SCRAMBLER500XXX & jumbofrank are exactly right. I am not a pro but I have learned this from experience from these same guys only a few days ago. I wont argue the fact.

If your quad is shutting off at low idle - I believe that you have to replace a contact in the throttle control (this is designed to help protect from throttle sticking open). First take the advice from the guy's who work on this chit everday. After the idle is set the proper way,if this still occurs, check contact.

My buddy fixed his stalling prob by cranking down this cable. His quad is idling @ 18-1900rpm. When he lets off the gas it's like slamming on the brakes. I'm pretty sure the EBC is controlled by the proper slack as well.

Good luck, Quit Hatin', LOL

Old 08-14-2008 | 03:12 AM
Pro Rider

Mornin deerwagon
Got a question for ya, if he fixed the cable tension why is it idling at 18-1900rpm? He should of fixed it so it idles at 1150. If you leave 1/16 slack in the cable, like the book says, and you still have problems,, then worry about the contact. Cables do stretch.
Where did jjump go?? did you/he get it fixed??? Poor guy had 4 posts and walks into this.

Old 08-14-2008 | 11:41 AM
Range Rover

It's idling at 1800 rpm because it stalls if he puts it the right way, I know they stretch but there not idle adjusters. Where did jjump go? LOL. I'm going Riding!!!

Old 08-15-2008 | 11:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

We reflashed an 08 Sportsman 500 just this morning,cutting out,code 22. Digital Wrench said to WIGGLE wires! I did and it proceded to say problem FIXED and to reflash! Still running good when I left work today. NO harness kit or tps replacement needed,strange,but true! ALSO as some have posted above IDLE preset (approx 1180 rpm) No adjustment unless tps replaced and MUST have correct adapter harness to set. Have replaced a couple, throttle cable must be off OR completely LOOSE,baseline vdc set on tps THEN d-ring idle screw is adjusted to correct vdc! Then adjust cable back to 1/16-1/8" slack. DONT try to move tps or try to adjust throttle body idle,Will create problems. 1800 rpms Way too high!

Old 08-16-2008 | 03:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Awsome posts guys, I just bought a used 2006 sportsman 500efi with 18 hours and 128 miles on it and went on a 5 day trip. After day 3 it started stalling when I let up on the throttle quickly. It did this for the rest of the trip made tight muddy trail riding a pain for sure. Had to let it stop completely then restart it again and hope it would run long enough to get through the section. Can't wait to see if this is the problem. My other thing is along with slow speed stalling it also has an intermittant miss at mid range rpm. This was less of a problem as it would still keep running. I need to figure this out before I try another extended trip.

Old 08-20-2008 | 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

Here's the explanation of the ETC from the service manual.

http://www.exexecpc.com/etc.pdf

Old 08-21-2008 | 01:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for your reply and image. I printed it out and just ordered a polaris service manual. I'm kinda mad at myself for not suspecting it on the trail as I did read the small part in the owners manual right after receiving it. trip would have been more fun without the stalling engine.
At this time the bike is at the dealer looking into the mid range miss and he has ordered a map sensor. He adjusted the ETC and is chasing the mid rpm misfire. Hope that is it as I want to get riding again.
I don't mind doing my own work but this electrical diagnosing is new for me. I have been looking for a map sensor part # to get an idea of cost but have had no sucess online. Even polaris and Babbitts don't show one. I guess I'll find out soon enough.
Thanks and any more ideas would be appriciated.

Sorry for hijaking the thread with first posts. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-21-2008 | 07:40 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: detroittigers

Awsome posts guys, I just bought a used 2006 sportsman 500efi with 18 hours and 128 miles on it and went on a 5 day trip. After day 3 it started stalling when I let up on the throttle quickly. It did this for the rest of the trip made tight muddy trail riding a pain for sure. Had to let it stop completely then restart it again and hope it would run long enough to get through the section. Can't wait to see if this is the problem. My other thing is along with slow speed stalling it also has an intermittant miss at mid range rpm. This was less of a problem as it would still keep running. I need to figure this out before I try another extended trip.</end quote></div>

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] My 2006 Sportsman 500 EFI with low hours and low mileage was stolen this summer and I think it ended up in Detroit. If you didn't get a title when you bought it then it's probably stolen.

Quick Reply: 2007 Sportsman 500 EFI, Won't Idle.....