Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery indicator blinking

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery indicator blinking

I'm having a problem with my '05 Sportsman 700 twin. My battery indicator has started blinking. (indicating under/over charge) I've gone through 2 Wal-mart batteries, they worked for a few minutes. I finally broke down & purchused a dealership battery for 116 bucks! It runs fine for a few hours..... and then the battery indicator starts blinking again. I charge it back up, ride for a while & then back to square one. I've read about an ECM Power Box, a Voltage Regulator, a Stator ...... What gives? Has anybody else encountered this? Recalls? My dealer just wants to charge me to tell me what's wrong with it. Can Anyone Help???

Old 08-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer

tRamsey
i'm having the same problem as you. battery light starts blinking. put new polaris battery on it and after a couple of hours the light started blinking again. i have asked this question myself and have got told the same thing (ECM OR VOLTAGE REGULATOR). have not got time to check the voltage regulator yet but plan on it after work today.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

did you guys check the recifier (voltage regulator) to make sure its not unplugged or corroded. just go into the dianostic and see how many volts its putting out when its running and ideled up and it should be at least 13.+volts. if not its not charging.,
here is the pn# 4011100 Regulator, Volt fromwhat i see there isnt a ecm on this bike so i'm leaning toward the volt reg.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Oops wrong post, sorry.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

stendori,

Where is the voltage Reg.? What does it look like? I checked the dianostic & it said the battery was @ 11.5...

Old 08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

if the voltage reg. is under the left front fender, i unpluged them and wiped the ends off and then hooked it back up (they was not real bad, just some dirt on the connecter part). the dianostic shows not running about 12 and with a idle it goes up 12+. but when the fan kicks on or i turn the lights on it drops down a couple of tenths. if i idle it up the battery shows to be high 13 or low 14. have used it for about 2 hours total off and on around the house and after that it is still staying around 12. maybe problem fixed i hope. plan on going to the river this afternoon so will be able to know more later.

Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 PM
Trailblazer

we went to the river today and was gone for about 2 hours, when we got back home the battery was more charged then when we left home. problem fixed. no more blinking.. thanks for the tip..

Old 09-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Problem Fixed! It must of been the voltage regulator. Located under the front rack on top of the radiator, mounted to the frame. I replaced it and have went on sevral rides with No Battery Indicator! I also learned that their is an ECM "brain" if you will, located under the high beam light behind the plastic. It runs around 300$. Thanks for the tips....

Old 09-17-2008, 09:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

ECM or CDI

Very rare for them to go bad if you dont short something or mess with it.

Michael I...those new numbers look to be right on.

12 volts at idle

13-14 rev'd up a little.
Voltage needs to be a little higher than 12 to charge...12 volts cant charge 12 volts. need 12.5-14 to get the battery up to 12+ with motor off.

Most car run at about 14.4 while run down the high way.
thats why everybody say "you gotta drive it to charge it" "wont charge at idle"

Old 09-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 2005 700 efi and thay have had problems with the stator and there was a recall on that. Wires will brake in side or rub, mine failed with only 20 or so miles on it now has over 3,000

Quick Reply: Battery indicator blinking