Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HELP! I washed my atv and now it won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! I washed my atv and now it won't start

I rolled my 2008 sportsman 800 efi touring out of the garage. Sprayed it off with the power washer and rolled it back into the garage. A few hours later i went to start it and there was no power. I check the battery with a meter and it is puttin out over 12 volts. When I turn the key nothing happens. The instrument cluster does not come on. No 12 volts to the to anything. I checked all the fuses under storage compartment. They were all ok.
Any suggestions?? I need help

Thanks

Old 08-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

Well it turns out that i am just mildy retarted ( hope no one takes offence to the term). When wiping the controls down I turned the run switch to off. I never use this switch i always use the ignition to turn it off. Lesson learned.

Thanks
G.A.S.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Range Rover

better find out in the garage than 20 miles into wilderness! wouldn't it be something to walk out 20 miles, return to recover the atv with a buddy and watch him flip the switch to run and look at you shaking his head.Lol!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

I've done it to, that darn switch,,

Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the first thing that came to my head after reading your post. Just the other day I rode down to the river and shut my bike off with the switch to talk to a fisherman. When I went to leave I'm turning my key and turning my key and nothing. I put it in Park and try, I'm squeezing the brake, thinking what the hell could have happened then low and behold I remember I used the switch to shut it off. What a dummy. I never use that kill switch so it's the last thing I check. Glad it was a simple mistake[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

went to the atv training coarse about 3 mos. ago. I've been riding all my life but this is my wifes first one plus we get 100.00 each in a check to spend on anything
at the dealership. Every time we stoped the motor the instructor made us use the kill switch instead of the keyswitch.
G.A.S. I did the same thing you did two weeks later. LOL

Old 08-16-2008, 03:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i ve seen that doen alot and people dont realize that kills all the power so it really throws ya if you dont catch it.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened to me the first time i went riding with my cousin/plus it was the first time i had ever riden a 4 wheeler , and it was at night and i kept hitting the kill switch all night long ; each time my cousin would have to turn around to see what was holding me up ; and each time he would ask me if i hit the kill switch !

Sure enough i had done it again , all it would do when i pushed the start botton was crank the engine over and over ; made me feel like an idiot but after i bought the idenical quad 3 yrs later i never did this again !.....

Old 08-16-2008, 10:07 AM
Range Rover

See your not the only one.......... I have never done this....NOT!!!!! I give you a high five for fessing up.

I did this plowing 10" of snow when I lived up north and talk about a quick stop...

Old 08-16-2008, 10:16 AM
Range Rover

Glad to see I am not the only one. I spent a half an hour trying to figure it out. Looking for everything but the obvious. Hope this thread will save someone from the frustration in the future.

Quick Reply: HELP! I washed my atv and now it won't start