Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Stock PXT tire ply issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock PXT tire ply issue

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RticKwad

I have nothing against my stockers as a good trail tire. BUT, I have had a number

of flats and also (noticed lately) they don't hold air very long. I was thinking about

just adding slime in them from them to keep from losing air. All my friends and two

cousins have exp the same issue as I. We go on most of the same trails riding and

where there is hard pack and some rock, they get beat up quite a bit.

I would agree, they seem like a softer trail tire. I really really look forward to my

next tire purchase (in a few months hopefully).

R'</end quote></div>

I know exactly how your feeling. I'm a new rider and when I went out to the Safety Rider Course last month I came back w/ about 3 lbs of air in all of them. I don't trust these stockers one bit. I don't know why they lost air but there were a bunch of goathead thorns I was picking out of them from the ride. Tires are definately my next purchase. Already have em picked out.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-22-2008, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

I am still in research mode but by and far from most discussion in this forum,
MOST go for the Mudlites (XTR) and Swamplites.

R'

Old 08-22-2008, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider

Ya, that's what I had mostly been seeing too in ppls sig and doing searches. I am looking for a good mud/snow tire. Not the best, but good. So leaning to the 589's. A supplier I am considering on going with had wrote:

The rear wheels do complicate things as there are not a ton of choices these days for a 10 inch wheel in many of the more popular tires. With the stock sizes, there are a few selections that could work for you. In a mildly aggressive type tire, the Mud Lite AT, Swamplite and other similar tires are available and are somewhat less expensive than the one tire I consider to be the most durable and best in the mud/snow of the available choices, which is the 589. One thing to consider about the price difference is that the 589 is both longer wearing, which will negate the cost difference over the life of the tire (and would likely make it cheaper to own as a result), and it's also more cut resistant, which could be a concern if thorns and rocks are part of your terrain. I am not sure if you want/need a tire as aggressive as the 589, but it would likely be my choice of the available tires in those sizes. If you were going to find (2) 12" rear wheels or buy a set of replacement wheels, I would likely lean towards a Maxxis Bighorn, as it's not as good in the snow or mud as the other tires I have mentioned, but is very durable and wears very well, and the ride/handling/traction in the main conditions you mentioned would be superior to what is available for your stock wheels. Obviously cost has to be part of your decision, and a Maxxis Bighorn is a radial and prices close to the 589, which is a bias ply, plus you would have to purchase at least 2 wheels from Polaris if not a replacement set, so I am not sure if it's something you want to look at due to the costs, but it is an excellent tire, and I have used them in Utah (Moab and Paiute) and Colorado (Taylor Park/Crested Butte) with great success. I can quote any of the items I mentioned if you need and can also answer any questions about another tire or style of tire I might not have considered if you were thinking of something else.

Understand when he wrote this I had given him my wrong rear size the way it reads in the 2008 catalog 25x11x10 instead of the correct 25x11x12's.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Excellent write up TANK!

R'

Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default They are 6 ply tires

Originally Posted by Koerbs
I have read on here many times that people are telling other people that the factory PXT tires are 2 star. They are NOT, they are 3 star 6 ply tires, not sure where that bad information came from but it is untrue. They come with 6 ply tires, once again the PXT is a 6 ply tire.

I'm not saying the PXT tires are the best or anything, just trying to clarify some misinformation that has been floating around.
The palris PXT tires are 6 ply tires, Mine are doing just fine.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

Rtickwad i thought you bought new tires last year ?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

i thought the pxts would be a good tire. the first yr i put on only a few miles as i then took the pxt off during the winter as the rim is alum and didnt want the salt to corode the rim. then last yr i had a full summer with them on and took them on a trail ride. i put 3 holes in the rear tires. vary soft. not happey with them. if id do it over ida put the pxt tires on my winter rims and the 489s on my summer rims. the pxt are also wearing pretty fast it seems. on my old 2000 sportsman i put on 6k or so before i changed tires. looks like ill be looking for differnt tires for the summer soon.

Old 03-30-2010, 04:45 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

there a good stock tire is all i would say about the pxt's. all better out there. but one of the best stock tire on wheeler. imo

Old 03-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

RP,

Yes I did buy the Mudlites last year.

R'