two are in my video pics but thats my story and
I am sticking with it!

Regards,

R'

Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POLARIS RIDING STORIES - This season

SIGH... I wish I had some stories to tell. Mine has been in pieces while I try and ind time to get everything done to it that I have planned. Also all my riding partners are busy for the next month so I don't know when I will get to ride again. I will have to live through your stories.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Yea, I ran into work and finance issues, riding party friends with big problems they couldn't go. Looks like
our next outing may be as far off as Mid-September. Really itching to ride man!

R'

Old 08-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same old song

Finally put it mostly back togather, got lazy and left a slightly bent tie rod on,
got way out, down steep off camber hills with ruts and logs,
Bent it 90 Degrees, Had to ride back fighting it from going left HARD the whole way, and being generally uncontrollable.

At one point on a steep hill where you have to squeeze between a tree and a rock, i couldnt do it. I backed down the hill, and went
off the trail to the left, as the rock was part of a rock wall. My friend and I tried digging down the wall a bit, but I still couldnt get over it without it
wanting to tip or pull into a tree..
Shut her down and rested for a bit, still had 90% of the journey left.
So, we scout a bit, and find an overgrown trailhead that leads back onto the trail I need to be on,
I pull start it once.. bad pull no dice
Again, even worse pull.
I get off the quad and give it a nice rip, and It starts right up...........and the pull start rope breaks right off
My starter is also shot, so its do or die at this point.

I get back on the trail, and take the attack stance, and start bringing the scrambler up the nasty hill,
Im able to do a good amount even hopping over some logs, untill i get to a similar spot to how I was stuck before.
While teetering on 2 wheels, I leaned the left tire against a tree, and used it to push me back onto the trail.
After that it was a piece of cake, I just had to drive it back a half mile down a dirt road, and a mile down the side of a paved road.
When on pavement, since the tires were so bowed out from the bend, it pulled so ridiculously hard and barley wanted to move.
When I went to push it into the garage, i Could barley do it, well new tie rod is on, and HPD rope/handle and ebay starter are going in
this sunday, and yes I have a new gasket.

Also, 2001 scrambler full front struts and housings are going in, along with new tierods.

I think im almost to the point where I can start riding this thing again,
It busted last september, and Ive only gotten that one ride out of it since.

It has an xplorer trans, I used the stock shifter and just shortened the linkage.
I am going to rig up a handle for the low linkage, so I can shift the beast into low.
Last thing is to get a chain tensioner, Because I cant break another chain .....
Trans is in already, so I dont know If a case saver can be put on,
Anyone think I can make one out of nylon block?

Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 AM
Range Rover

OK i'll bite.

About 20-30 of us go riding down in Reader WV. every Memorial Day and Labor Day. So last Memorial day was the maiden voyage for the new 800. All the previous years everyone that I ride with has just torn into evey hole we could find. Now that i got a beast that can handle it nobody wants to go in anymore. Maybe we all just realize that 10K quads are different than 5K quads.

Anyway, we are all hanging out by a couple holes that we have all been in during previous trips. I started getting board and decided to test the waters so to speak. I go over to this hole thats about the size of a full size truck. I find a big stick and check the depth, slope of ingress and egress. It all appered good. So i jump on and ease in. As i slide into the hole i realize as the mucky water flows up over the front box up to the light pod that i was in trouble.

As the rear end flopped in and the front floated back to the surface it became all to clear that my stick measurments were not very accurate. I start hogging on it as hard as i can, working the bars, rocking side to side front to back but its a no go. The rear end was high centered or caught on something and the front was floating. I think due to the air tight front box. Luckily i am able to keep it running as a friend pulls out the winch and ties me off. The warn drug me right out no problem. So i pull off to the side and inspect the damage. I pulled the seat off and realze that my right side pannel was missing. I was rocking it so hard that the wave blasted it right off the side. So i had to go fishing for it with the same stick i used as a depth guage. I drained what looked like 2 gallon out of the belt housing(it didn't slip one bit full) then i decide to check the air filter. To my horror i find that the plug for my battery tender had been caught under the edge of the airbox lid. This allowed the air box to fill up right about to the top. About 7/8 of the circumference of the filter was under mucky water. I pulled the drain plug and washed out the box with clean water, removed the filter and to my surprize not a single bit of muck got into the intake elbow. I washed the paper filter with water and dried it with the exhaust.

As all this is going down a local come up and asked what happened. I told him and his responce was "That hole, you went in that hole!" "Son they had the Chevy on 46's in there last night and got it stuck." He turns around hops back on his bike then stops and askes " Did ya'll happen to find a drive shaft and a muffler in there while you were stuck." I said maybe, i was hung up on something pretty good, so he offerd for us to come down to his house so i could wash out the rad and at least make it rideable again.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:05 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

" Did ya'll happen to find a drive shaft and a muffler in there while you were stuck."

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] That's priceless.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That's a good one. My only real trail ride was the Trail of Death ride I took last Saturday with my son. Story as follows: Howdy all, I went out trail riding on Saturday and went down a trail that should have had a name like: Trail of Death and Dismemberment or Plastic Carnage. Got way into the trail where it would have been too much to turn around and go back the way we came. So we ended up on an off camber downhill curve and, even with my large ballast, rolled it on its left side with the right rim of the box smacking a tree. A couple scratches on me, nothing major. Have to replace the box. Ca-ching.... We righted it with our winches, I checked the oil, and it started fine. I've cleaned all the left side plastic, topped off the oil, cleaned the air filter cover that goes over the foam and cleaned the inside of the air box with a degreaser. None of the frame or metal work on the dump box appeared bent and we still went another 5 miles or so on the Trail of Death to get out of the woods. Amazingly strong frames. PS Yes, the metal skid plate that comes stock is worth the extra weight.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

have not had any time to ride..what a shame!! been to a few mud runs but that was it!! well there is always snow plowing season to look forward too!

Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

3 of us took a ride on the deadhorse trail in northern WI last w/e. 1 guy (68 years old) had to bail once and caught a rock another time lost control and wound up in the woods on his side. Put er back upright. After 5 hours we had not reached the halfway point to go back (this is where the gas is too). Had some gas with so topped mine up to go back & get truck & trailer while they continued to town. What took 5 hrs together took me 2 on the 800 alone. Ya I was kinda ripping it up, was the funnest part of the ride.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Sounds like a few should NOT have gotten out of bed that morning, LOL.
Wow, glad it all had a happy ending (well I guess?)

R'

Quick Reply: POLARIS RIDING STORIES - This season