Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

can on demand 4x4 be changed to full time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can on demand 4x4 be changed to full time?

i broke the rear drive chain and no one was around to help me put it on the trailer.i put it in awd and had a bear of a time moving it around to the trailer,going staight on to the trailer was ok, but turning was brutal.if your ever changing your rear drive chain, with your old one off, before you install your new one,try riding around.......................

Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Krazybob

I bought a 1998 425 Magnum with "on demand" 4 wd last year. I was wondering if that could be changed to full time 4 wd. I don't like the idea that the rear wheels have to start slipping, before the front hubs kick in. Just a thought.......

Krazy~</end quote></div>

<span class="FTHighlightFont">Thanks for the insight guys. I had the idea, that it took much longer to kick in than what you say it does, so I guess I'll just not mess with it .
Krazy~</span ft>

Old 09-13-2008, 12:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Here is a Video of how fast it reacts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S4JsTO7N6M

Old 09-13-2008, 01:27 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot Sheepdog made the videos. It looks to me like the rear tires move a lot less than 1/5 revolution. No wonder I never feel it engage or disengage.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:42 AM
Pro Rider

I've got a 95 Magnum 425 and you really have to pay attention to even notice it kicking in. If you really concentrate and have a calibrated butt you can feel the rear ever so slightly slip before it kicks in. It really is nearly seamless and works far better than one would think it would just by reading how the system works on paper. It isn't like a Can-Am visco lok where you have the thing having to sit there and spin several revolutions to build pressure in a pump before it kicks in. It happens so fast unless you're paying attention you don't even realize it is happening. Or like a Honda where the front end is supposed to be doing "something" to stop wheel spin but in real world use doesn't do anything. The Polaris system works as advertised and works really well.

As for keeping it in a locked up state you could probably do it by altering the front tire diameter enough so that it mimics a slipping condition. It's going to be more difficult to steer though. I understand manufacturers of ATV track systems do something similar to get the front tracks to pull all the time.

Old 09-13-2008, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

Very good points made, and I agree the system works great and I would never want mine locked in all the time. Now I feel dumb for answering his question without pointing out the cons of doing such. lol

Old 09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Here is a Video of how fast it reacts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S4JsTO7N6M</end quote></div>

That is fast !!! Wonder how it will do when I take it to the Oregon sand dunes ?
Krazy~

Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Krazybob

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Here is a Video of how fast it reacts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S4JsTO7N6M</end quote></div>

That is fast !!! Wonder how it will do when I take it to the Oregon sand dunes ?

Krazy~</end quote></div>

You will get 1/3 up a dune hill before digging 4 holes and getting stuck ,while a 2wd sport ATV with paddle tires does air at the top of that dune hill.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.....Shoopdog is very strong to hold that Quad back all by himself!!!!
I thought it was going to move forward!!......LOL....LOl....Caper..........

Don't mess with him!!!

Old 09-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I wonder how that works with the Big Boss 6x6 800. Sheepdog, if you get a chance pick one up and do the same demo. JK

Quick Reply: can on demand 4x4 be changed to full time?