Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

can on demand 4x4 be changed to full time?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can on demand 4x4 be changed to full time?

I bought a 1998 425 Magnum with "on demand" 4 wd last year. I was wondering if that could be changed to full time 4 wd. I don't like the idea that the rear wheels have to start slipping, before the front hubs kick in. Just a thought.......
Krazy~

Old 09-12-2008, 08:19 PM
Pro Rider

With some research of how the system works I'm sure it could be done. I imagine that there is a sensor that senses the rear wheels slipping and either sends a ground or 12v to a switch that engages the front, just figure out whether it operates off of ground or voltage and where you need to apply it and route it through the 4x4 switch. The simplest way is probably to bypass the sensor that detects the slip.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

I understand why you may feel like you do about the on demand 4x4 but I'll tell ya it works really well. I have yet to feel when mine kicks in and out and it's never caused me to get stuck. Remember that the rear only needs to slip 1/5th of a turn before the front end kicks in. It really is a smooth operating system in my opinion.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:09 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Impossible,if the the Polaris AWD was constantly engaged it would be in TRUE 4wd not in 3wd with a limited slip front end like most ATVs, there for it would be impossible to steer,just like a ATV stuck in diff lock 100% of the time would be.

You would never notice the minute rear wheel slip on the Polaris anyways before the front two wheels would engage so it would be a pointless mod.

If you disabled one of the front locking hubs to always free wheel at least it would maybe steer better if you can lock in the AWD (Now 3wd) full time.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

I'm with TLC, its a pointless idea, you will never get stuck from the auto feature and you would NOT AT ALL be able to steer.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:37 PM
"Official Site Skeptic"

I agree with TLC & Koerbs. However to see how it would react put smaller diameter tires on the and the sensor will think the rears are spinning and lock the AWD.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:44 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you guys are right. You wouldn't be able to steer it when it's locked in all the time. IMO it works better than any other 4x4 system, so why mess it up?

Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

It would be nice to be able to switch it on when you are getting ready to go into a good mud hole where you do not want to wait for the AWD to kick on. I know it don't take that long but would like sometimes to have it already going. Full time ie always on would not be a workable solution gosh would it be a bear to steer.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:17 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

It would be nice to be able to switch it on when you are getting ready to go into a good mud hole where you do not want to wait for the AWD to kick on. I know it don't take that long but would like sometimes to have it already going. Full time ie always on would not be a workable solution gosh would it be a bear to steer.</end quote></div>

It would switch itself into AWD the millisecond the rear wheels slipped I doubt the .01 second hesitation could ever be felt.

If the rear wheels do not slip to engage the fronts it means the ATV is is going forward and additional front traction is pointless anyways. Remember when we talk rear wheel slip its a 5th of a turn and not noticeable to the naked eye in the split second it takes to react.

Old 09-12-2008, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

Did my post not show up? I'm pretty sure I mentioned how quickly and smoothly the on demand works.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: can on demand 4x4 be changed to full time?