Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pull Start - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Start - Why?

I've always wondered why Polaris (and other atv manufacturers for that matter) use a lawnmower type pull rope to start their machines manually. Is there some sort of reasoning behind it? I can't imagine it would be cheaper. It doubt it is as easy to start with a rope as compared to a kickstart. The pull start has more to go wrong and requires more maintenance. Why use it?

I've always preferred a kick start myself. It's easier I think because you're using larger muscles and you also have the advantage of your body weight and ever present gravity to assist you. A pull start on the other hand has springs and a mechanism that can hold water and grime and the rope in a pull start is definitely something that can rot when not used or maintained and break when you need it the most. Even on my small mild 425 it isn't the easiest thing to start with a pull rope especially if my shoulder or back is giving me problems. I would imagine the 760 and new 850 are going to be even harder to pull. The kick start on my 300 honda is extremely easy to kick start but I'd imagine it wouldn't be nearly as easy to pull start.

So why a pullstart and not a kick start? Which would you prefer?

Old 09-13-2008, 07:29 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just a guess, but i think you'll find its cheaper for a pull start and its easier to put on as it just connects to the fly wheel and dont have to make any modds inside to fit the kick start. like i aid just a guess and maybe its a weight thing(even though whats a few extra pounds on these tanks.lol

Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it is a big deal to accomidate for a kick start, with the gears and what not to allow it to work, it dosen't make sense.

And, on a big bore machine (most refer to that as 500 and up), you would wreck the sole of you shoe trying to use it and if you slipped you would forsure be needing stitches when that lever polishes your Tibia.

And, I bet most people wouldn't have the wieght to do it.

And, if someone got hurt with a kickstart Polaris risks getting sued, it dosen't make sense, but in todays world thats what people do to make a buck.

Just buy a REAL atv, they don't even come with a pull start. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2008, 10:15 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

With floorboards there no room to work a kick start. I think all ATVs especially belt drive which can not be pushed/bump started should have a secondary way to start them. Your totally relying on a $50 recreational battery,Bendix drive,starter,start button and solenoid to get you home every time any one part could take a dumb on you without notice.

Big bore does not matter just put a Auto decompression on the ATV. My 500 with a decompression is easier to pull start than my 250 Yamaha Moto4 was which had none.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

I think maybe on a 4 stoke especially the pull start gives an extra revolution or two to the engine when you pull it? Just a guess though, I'm not sure why they bother on the newer efi machines because from what I'm told the machine won't run if the battery is dead anyway.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:02 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>I'm not sure why they bother on the newer efi machines because from what I'm told the machine won't run if the battery is dead anyway. </end quote></div>

Good point,

One time I was camping 20 miles from the trucks and I left the key on over nigh when I used the outlet to blow up a air bed. In the morning the ATV was stone dead.

One pull on the rope and it was off and running and in 10 minutes the battery was charged enough to use the electric start once again.

If I had the Newer ECM equipped ATV I would need a boost or a 20 mile tow back to the truck.

Just a example how Polaris decided to make a once nothing of a problem into a Major problem on there new machines.

My Cousins 500 starter quit working on a long week end at camp do to the starter brushes sticking. He rode all week end by pull starting the ATV, now if that was a 700 or 800 with no back up system it would of been parked for the entire weekend.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>And, I bet most people wouldn't have the wieght to do it. </end quote></div> I am. A friend of mine has an 02 Sportsman 500 and his battery died. It was a bear on that machine to start it with the pull rope. I tried mine just to see how it feels. A lot less pull needed on the X2.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Range Rover

I have a 700 EFI and their is no secondary start option. I always carry jumper cables with me. When I take it out 5 miles on the ice to go fishing - I always secure my jump box on the back rack, just in case. Luckily I've never had to use it - I think the fact that I randomly plug in my "battery tender" especially in the winter - is the reason for my success. I have a 2005' and am only on my second battery - which I just bought. Battery Tender $30 - replace a battery every 3-4 years...worth it.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:07 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

All the 500s are the same engine, the X2,500 Ranger and 500 Scrambler all have decompression and no other should be harder to pull over.

There are other safety methods but a 700 with a decompression and a pull starts would be much easier ,than carrying around jump cables and a heavy Jump box ,I would think.

Plus Polaris starter are notorious for dying and a change where no boost would help you.

Old 09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't pull start a 500 unless it's already been running and warmed up. Maybe it's just me being a wimp. I don't know why they even put a pull starter on ATVs you can't pull start with a cold engine with cold oil in it. On winter I tried it and almost ripped the skin off my fingers.

Quick Reply: Pull Start - Why?