Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

shift rod linkage adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shift rod linkage adjustment

I have a trail boss 250 1996. I had to have a new shift fork but in, because it didnt have forward gear. Now, it has all the gears, but, when I am in forward gear, it keeps jumping out. I know that the shift rod isnt adjusted right, but my shop manuel also mention a torque stop adjustment rod, which I am missing. It says to adjust that when ever shifting difficulties occur, or if u have ever had the tranmission out. How important is the torque stop adjustment rod? And is this something I need in order to get the shift rod adjustment correct?

Old 09-20-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

the torque rod is what gives the shifter a definite *click* when you change gears. what happens is there is a little plate that has a spring tension rod rubbing on it. that plate has indentions that the rod sits in when its in a gear and also holds it in said gear. i would say that the torque rod would be very important to have in the transmission

Old 09-21-2008, 02:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Torque stop bolt is small bolt and locknut on left side of transmission that adjusts out to touch frame,then locknut tightened. If removed when trans taken out, not enough room to reinstall if trans back in. IF STILL IN TRANS,just turn bolt untill touches frame,turn 1/2 turn,tighten lock nut. Main purpose is to keep trans from flexing under loads,shouldnt affect initial linkage adjustment! To adjust linkage make sure in neutral and that bellcrank on transmission is straight out perpendicular to case,loosen all locknuts on linkage bar,pull out shift lever from neutral slot and turn linkage bar to where shift lever moves just SLIGHTLY past center of neutral slot,then tighten both locknuts,IF still grinding /popping out in forward position, loosen nuts and adjust a little more. If you adjust too far can have a positive forward,BUT a grinding reverse! Hope this helps and doesnt confuse you. Good luck

Old 09-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Trailblazer

Having problems as well. Stuck in reverse. I ended up ripping the side plastic off and pulling on the linkage while pushing forward and it popped out into neutral. Then, stuck in lo... wouldnt get back to neutral.. argh! Searching the forums for info but I will report if this info helped. Thanks for the thread and replies.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

After your latest post,sounds like having shift box problem also. IF have a lot of slack in shift lever when in neutral,could be a lot of the problem. Can rebuild shift box or replace.SORRY,FORGOT,Just pivot arm on your model!!! NO BOX Keep trying on linkage adjusment. If doesnt help then possible trans problem still. Good luck

Old 03-16-2019, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 97 Polaris Trail boss 250 won't shift into reverse

So I was reading the manual and it states to adjust the torque stop first before adjusting the linkage if shifting problems are occurring. Has anyone tried this and has it cured the problem or have they had to adjust the linkage ? Thanks