Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Blazer mod question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2001, 05:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on adding a HPD pipe and clutch kit and want to leave the airbox stock and drop a uni filter in (usually very dusty where I ride).

My question is do you leave the snorkle and pre-filter on with this or do you remove it and leave the airbox top on and cut the down spout that goes down through the stock filter (so the snorkel can still mount)?

Or do you remove the down tube plastic part and just put the metal top on the box with the uni or no top at all?

Will the jet that comes with the pipe be adaquate enough with adding the uni filter also?

Thanks

Old 01-30-2001, 11:09 PM
Range Rover

Good question..... surely someone can better explain airbox mods for those of us who don't want to remove it totally. Isn't there some happy medium between removing the airbox and going with a clamp on -&- keeping the airbox but using a higher flow filter. I've hear people say drill it full of holes and everything else. Can anyone be more specific as to what is a good procedure?

Old 01-30-2001, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 400 2x4 scram and I installed the K&N and left the metal lid off. Had to go up 2 sizes on the main. And if it's going to be a muddy or wet ride, I just put the lid back on. Runs alittle rich but doesn't fowl plugs. I would not drill holes in my box if it's for trail riding. Now if it's for racing and racing only, then yes.

Old 01-31-2001, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

Call Rick Ritter and get his air box mod.

Bodineus

Old 01-31-2001, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

what does rcr air box mod come with any one know???

Old 01-31-2001, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

I called RCR and he told me that they don't make air box mod kits for the Blazer. He said it's real simple to do yourself.

He recommended doing away with the pre-filter and snorkle (or at least cutting the snorkle at it's wide position) and then cutting the down tube down to about 1" to 1-1/2" so it can clear the new filter. He recommended the uni for me because of the fine dust in the area I ride. The K&N will draw more but will not filter the fines.

He also said with the HPD pipe (which comes with a #150 & #160 jet) I would need to up to a #180 jet if adding this filter mod (a #170 may work but it's better to try the #180 first to be safe).

The stock jet is a #130 and he said a #140 would be sufficient if you had a stock pipe (I'll probably do that for the wifes ride).

RCR is very personable as stated by others here and if you have other questions call at (618) 644-3211

Also if you don't want to cut the down tube Twin-Air makes a foam filter that drops in to replace the stock one and will filter better than the uni for the fines. I may go with the Twin-Air for that reason.

Old 01-31-2001, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

I just finished hacking up my airbox on my TBlazer. I also pulled the rubber tab off of the bottom tube of the airbox and drilled the plastic lid right in front of where the snorkel slips on. That's the only place to drill holes so the extra air will go through the filter first. While your in the box, look to the right of the carb inlet and look for cracks. There's a rubber snubber underneath that rides on top a tab on the tranny. I guess mine cracked from jumping it. GOOP to the rescue!!!

Old 01-31-2001, 05:29 PM
Range Rover

Mine cracked in the same spot when I had my TrailBlazer. Must be a common problem!

Old 01-31-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

I cut the rubber snubber in half, along with the plastic "nipple" it slides onto. Its about 1/4 inch off the tab now. Hopefully it'll work

Old 01-31-2001, 10:17 PM
Pro Rider

How do you like your DG exhaust? How much more power? $Price?$

Quick Reply: Blazer mod question