Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 425 Magnum Front end "Click"

Old 09-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 425 Magnum Front end "Click"

I purchased my 425 Magnum new in 96. It's been a reliable machine, and well maintained as far as oil changes go. Works great on the AZ rocky trails. It has 2500 miles of all offroad use. Pretty low miles for a 96, but it's been used fairly hard.

Lately I get a slight popping, or clicking when I turn. It happens both left and right, but more to the right. I've jacked up the quad and run it with wheels off the ground and cant replicate. No wobble in wheel bearings, and I dont think it's a cv or ujoint issue. At least the noise when riding seems to be from the center, not one side or the other.

I have done some maintenance work on the hubs in the past, and I'm pretty sure they're in good shape with proper oil levels.

I want to get the problem found and fixed before it leaves me stuck in the desert.

When I'm riding it, it's hard to tell where the noise is coming from. 4WD still works. Could it be simply the center or front chain out of adjust? The front chain doesn't feel too loose or tight. The center one is a pain the a** to test.

I had a friend with a 95 sportsman that had issues with the Front or Center Tightner that he said had similar symptoms. He had to rebuild it, his eventually locked up the front wheels.

I spent a couple of hours doing searches on this site, and looking through posts, but this issue doesn't seem to be easily findable (which is good I guess, at least it's not common).

Anyone ever have a similar issue, or have any opinion on those Tightner assembly's?

Thanks for any input.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 96 425 Magnum Front end "Click

Center ecentric usually have the problem you describe. Stress from both chains cause bearing wear in housing usually makes "clicking' noise from bearings. Should show updated bearings on parts list. Will look up and get back to you. 4 bearings # 3514402. Entire assy if replacing that way has been superceded with a new tightner assy # Latest model had timken bearings and races instead of the four plain bearings. You dont have to replace assy,just replace with original bearings and seals and should be fine. Center chain should have about 3/8' slack measured in middle of chain,front chain about 3/8" or slightly tighter. I havent had had any problems on front assy on early Magnums,2-stoke Sportsmen,explorers. IF just needing adjusting loosen center tightner bolts ,using DULL punch tap TABS on assy toward rear of machine to tighten chain. When center is adjusted,FRONT chain will loosen! loosen 5/8' bolt underneath front assy,Tap on drivers side housing with same dull punch rearward to adjust front chain.IF NOISE continues,bearings and seals probably need replacement. CHECK chains for wear,kinking,CAN make noise also! Good luck

Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 425 Magnum Front end

Wow. Thanks so much for the info. I'll check, and adjust chains as described, and replace bearings on center eccentric if necessary.

Thanks again. Way cool.