Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportsman Reliability

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: upnort

The steel fence post through the rad & fan was my fault.</end quote></div>

Good one! LOL! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Maybe it is a good thing then that Polaris designed the radiator up and out of the way on the XP models. Hopefully that will help protect it better.

Which...is why I am looking at the XP 850 machine. The IFS, anti-kick steering, and a few other changes like the relocation of the radiator seem like Polaris is making an effort to continually provide a better ATV.

biz

Old 10-03-2008, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't had any problems with either my 700x2 or 800 that I haven't caused myself! LOL! I suppose there are lemons with all makes and those few always seem to make their way on here and scare everyone else. The truth of the matter is if you want the best ride with excellent power and don't care about weight or fuel consumption then go with the 800 or 850. If fuel is a concern for you (it is a pain to carry extra fuel) then maybe look at the 500, it has a much longer range and respectable power. I also agree with highoctane in that the dealer is responsible for the customer service and I think polaris defers problems to them and wants them to handle any problems. Unfortunately, many dealers don't care about you once you drive off with the machine. Luckily, my local dealer is awesome and has always taken good care of me. I think they realize the money is in the service, not so much the sales!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all those folks that have replied! I really do appreciate it...

It appears that the SP 800 has had some issues, but for the most part...seems like a good quality machine. Only time will tell on the XP850...

OBTW: For those who have not replied...and can contribute...PLEASE keep it coming! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

biz
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had me 800 long enough to comment on it's reliability. I rode a ATP 500 HO for four years and had to replace the battery once, outside of that I didn't have any problems that weren't my fault.
Again, haven't had the 800 long enough to comment on fuel mileage but I think if you are looking for good gas mileage you need to look at another brand. The ATP SUCKED gas. My wifes Sporty 500HO had better range than the ATP only because it held an extra gallon or gallon and a half in the tank.
I know where you are coming from with reguards to fuel range. The ATP had a puny little 3.5 gallon tank and it was done after about 80 miles, I always carried at least one 2.5 gallon can on longer rides. My riding buddy's Foreman 400 would go probably 120 on the amount of gas Mr. Thirsty took to do 80. Of course it didn't have the kickass Polaris 4WD system, the ride comfort, hauling or towning capiticy or power. We took em to a drag and he'd barely, and I mean barely beat me and I had at least 250 lbs more bike.
I seriously considered a Kawi 750 Brute Force when I bought my 800. then I looked at the kawi forums and saw everyone talking about maintnence, replacing pin bearings, wheel bearnings and every other kind of bearing, I examined a BF 750 at the dealers and the steel just isn't there. Tie rods and frame aren't near as robust as a Popo, granted the BF is faster. But I don't want to be fooling with replacing bearings once a year and worrying about busting a tie rod or bashing the frame on rocks every time out.
Q

Old 03-21-2009, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

just bought a 800 twin 07. heard a noise when first taking off. took it to a shop and its reported that the drive chain was stretched and had hit the drain plug. drain plug being replaced 10hrs later and 600.00 dollars.The dealer where i bought it is going good on it . it only had 861 miles on it.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

That's the beauty of these forums..that problem has been reported and a simple inspection of the drain plug could have saved you some time...and money..IIRC all that it needs is for the drain plug to be shortened or a shorter on installed so it doesn't hit..if you just replace the chain(which it likely doesn't need,unless it was damaged,doubtful) it will likely end up stretching and hitting again.
Although I am confused who is out $600 and what is the $600 charge for? You paying or is the dealer taking care of it? If they needed $600 worth of labor time to diagnose the chain hitting the drain plug that is pretty sad IMO...and I hope you aren't paying that.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

no the shop is charging the 600.00 for labor and the dealer is paying them,not sure if the chain was replaced i believe it was damaged though havent spoke to the shop yet just the dealer,which isnt a atv dealer but a car dealership selling atvs

Old 03-21-2009, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Gas mileage on the 850's is similar to the 800's - 15-17 mpg depending on what you're riding in/on. Polaris would do well to find some space to put in more gas tank. The only real beef we have with our XPs is that Polaris hasn't really dialed in the fuel mapping yet. I've had some stalling & backfiring issues with mine - similar to what others have have. The first ride out MrsBMQ's XP performed flawlessly. Then, we had them both in for misc service. They updated the programs on both quads. Mine improved as far as stalling & backfiring - much less now. MrsBMQ's got worse! The both run about the same now, but I wish the dealer had NOT updated the program on her quad.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Range Rover

BlueManQuad you should look into your cable adjustment on your wife's bike. My 850 used to backfire and after I adjusted the throttle cable as per the manual it has been fine. I went on a ride today that would have been an 8 backfire run before and not one. I made sure that I let the throttle off quickly when I went to slow down which was when the backfires would happen and there wasn't any. It's just a small adjustment with the adjuster that is on the throttle cable itself. Just open the top of the throttle and make sure the gap is as per your owners manual page 118.
Take care,
Dave

Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

08 800...got about 750 miles on it..
*No problems with belt..at all
*Brakes are great..no problems
*Fuel mileage...I get about 60-65 miles on a tank. (about 15 mpg) Smooth higher speed trails, not much low gear stuff...kinda sux on long rides...
* I had some warranty repairs, overheating problems...ended up replacing tstat and water pump leak. Everything was taken care of..no problems.

Quick Reply: Sportsman Reliability