Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Has anyone done the K&N Stage 1 kit on '01 SP500ho?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 12:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there much of a performance boost with the K&N kit or should I go with a partial RCR kit (jets and airbox mods)? I don't want to change pipe/silencer.
K&N's kit seems very expensive for a few jet and a needle.
Thanks.

weetoots

Old 01-31-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Weetoots, you and I are both looking for more out of our H.O.s. I just put the AAen long duration cam in, with a K&N and see more mid-range, but that's about it. I've got a 42mmTM Mikuni pumper carb on the way, and with a pipe I'm hoping to have a REAL H.O. A turbocharger may be the only thing that will get this pig to fly, it is a stubborn engine, and without a dyno or a flow bench, I'm kinda shooting in the dark anyway.
Rick Ritter says the porting in the cylinder head is not too good and this is where the problem is.
But this rig is too new to be pulling the head off just yet. I want to keep working with bolt-ons.
I asked if a bigger head pipe would help and he said that is one way to go about it. So I am looking at a 1&3/4" headpipe with an automotive muffler. 6" diameter auto mufflers are available in a wide variety for about $20. I think I'll try one on the stock pipe first, if there is no power/noise penalty over the stock, I'll go ahead and build or wait for the bigger headpipe. HPD and Rick say they're working on it. The problem is bang for the buck. So far it's been all bucks and not much bang. Some combination has got to work. The Scrambler guys should be able to help us here but...nada.

Old 01-31-2001, 02:24 PM
Range Rover

Hey Fourlix,
Yeah everybody want big bucks for a lot of nothing. I will not pay $300 for a pipe and silencer. No gain and a lot more noise.
I e-mailed K&N because the kit they offer for the '01 500ho is the same part number as last years non-ho. Don't they know the carb/cam has been changed.
At least Rick Ritter has been up front about this engine. I talked to him some weeks ago, when I got my "green" spring.
Polaris should know that a bigger carb and hotter ?cam? means more air in and more air out. If they kept the air flow the same as the non-ho, I don't see the gain. Sure wish someone would bench test the old vs new.
Maybe a supercharger and of course I want good milage too, for the longer trips.
Oh for wants!
al
Weetoots

Old 01-31-2001, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

Instead of you all spending that much cash just send the moter to Four stroke tech Call them at 814-842-6159. They turn the 500 into a 600 by boring and stroking and rubbing He He Oh wronggroup there. They port polish and For under a grand Bore is increased by 3mm and stoke by 10mm It said to have locamotive type tourqe. Or call this # Berard custom machinePh # 301-387-9426.With the goodies you already have That pig will fly in space.

Old 01-31-2001, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

What kind of airbox mods does k&n offer?? i heard the stock inlets are real restrictive on the inlets side that goes under the tank.seems someone would make another bigger on that bolts to the stock lid.

Old 01-31-2001, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I've been thinking the same thing, not just holes in the airbox but a bigger horn. Maybe take two and splice them together for one twice as wide, but thicker would be good too. A replacement could be 2 to 3 times the area in a cross-section.
I've been trying to think of something to make one out of. Aluminum might work, but plastic is so right for this. How to make a better airbox horn? Any ideas??? Fiberglass?? Hey aftermarket companies, we all want one of these!!

Old 01-31-2001, 11:07 PM
Range Rover

Fourlix,
You guys are thinking too hard on this one.
KISS... two pieces of 3/4 garden hose with female ends, one to reach the middle and one to reach the back end. Epoxy a male fitting into a drilled hole. Make your attachments and cut to length.
Surely you must have a retired piece of hose and <$10.00 for fittings. Or use heater hose, thicker walls. Use as many hoses as you want. Make that air box look like an octopus.

weetoots