Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brought her home yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brought her home yesterday

Does anyone know how accurate these digital gas guages are?
As for what I've seen so far they only read a quarter of a tank at a time, and can switch between half a tank and 3/4 of a tank depending on how level you are sitting. Is there a low fuel warning or are you just hoping you have 1/4 of a tank left? Hope you don't run out of juice!

Old 10-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: rancher55

Does anyone know how accurate these digital gas guages are?

As for what I've seen so far they only read a quarter of a tank at a time, and can switch between half a tank and 3/4 of a tank depending on how level you are sitting. Is there a low fuel warning or are you just hoping you have 1/4 of a tank left? Hope you don't run out of juice!</end quote></div>

My gauge lists in 5 th's so i dont know how to tell half a tank.
But on my last ride i went 64 kilometers 5 km in low range rock climbing mud traps,about 10 km going over 50 km's an hour fast trail, and the rest 20 to 30 km's an hour trails with some mud water etc.
I used about 10 liters of fuel.
Now the same run on my old 02 700 used about 14 liters

About the low flashing when i reached the last 5 th it did not take long for it to start flashing empty so i guess the last 5 th is the reserve.

Ps..263 km's on this machine now
Did i say i just love this thing....go scoop them up boy's.....

Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Banned

Hello to all the 850 XP owners. So far, can you please give me your honest opinions about your machine? The good, the bad, etc?

I just went to the dealership on Saturday and seen a 550 XP, finished in Sagebrush Green. Since green is my favoriate color, and liked the way it looked over the red, I changed the color from red to green. My machine should be in December, but hopefully sooner so we shall see.

Thank you for your opinions.

IronBear

Old 10-20-2008, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: biz4two

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: opie1har

The next time I fill it up with gas, I am going to reset the trip odom and try to figure out the mileage, right now I am gonna guesstimate about 60 or miles on a tank.

</end quote></div>

WOW! I hope your estimate is really off. I mean...the XP has a 5.25/gal fuel tank and only getting 60 miles out of a tank would put that at about 11.4mpg.[img][/img]

If that is the case...Wonder if the Feds are going to add a "gas guzzler" tax. Plus...I'm going to have to purchase several fuel containers to take along those long trail outings. LOL!

YES...please keep us informed.

biz

[img][/img]</end quote></div>

New machines always seem to use more fuel from what I have heard, until they are broke in good. But we know Polaris' aren't exactly known for fuel economy,lol. I'm sure the 550 does ok,but I imagine the 850 drinks pretty heartily.
I know my 800 was very thirsty compared to a 500 EFI. With all that said alot has to do with riding style and how you control the throttle and make use of high and low range. With a little knowledge put to use while riding you can greatly improve fuel economy if range is an issue.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:11 PM
Range Rover

My bike does seem thirsty but I just can't stop squeezing the throttle. Someone told me it takes longer to break in an EFI bike so maybe it will get better. Other than that I cannot find anything that I am dissapointed or unhappy with & I don't really care about the gas mileage that much, it was not why I bought it.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

Has anyone ridden both the 550 and 850xp's? Just curious the difference in power. I'm sure I don't "need" an 850 but it sure would be nice. I would be moving up from a 400 so I'm sure the 550 would be a great improvement, wondering about mileage too.

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: behindredeyes

Has anyone ridden both the 550 and 850xp's? Just curious the difference in power. I'm sure I don't "need" an 850 but it sure would be nice. I would be moving up from a 400 so I'm sure the 550 would be a great improvement, wondering about mileage too.</end quote></div>

I have not tried the 550, but I did take the 850 for a rip yesterday.

I did a rolling punch of the throttle in HIGH range and it was very good power, nothing outstanding though, and the front wheels would not lift-off the ground. I did not experience any "WOW" factor or big smile followed by "awesome".

In LOW range I had no problem poping the front-end up! I still expected more arm-ripping power but it just wasn't there.....but what did I expect from a 800lb beast!LOL! Also, I noticed that Low range seems to wind-out quickly.

850 engine idle seems a little rough, almost like it wanted to stall. Smoothed-out as soon as I gave it the gas.

Steering is outstanding. I wonder how they made it steer so easily.

The lack of storage is a BIG dissapointment imo.

Overall a nicely done ATV.