Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

bleeding brakes

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding brakes

Local dealership had a service special. I figured what the hell - only been 8 years since my last service so figured I was due. (I do my own work) Well they of course screwed it up. Teach me to let some idiot grease monkey to work on my bike.

It was a minor screw up - when bleeding the rear brake they did not refill the rear brake fluid reservoir and some air got into the system. What makes me mad is that they gave me the bike back without a working foot petal and then when I called they told me I needed to come back and get a replacement master cylinder or calipers.

Ok - sorry for the background story - just frustrating. This weekend I bleed my brakes. I use a vacuum device that goes on the bleed nipple to bleed - then I bleed the lines out. (Works great on my cars)

After I fixed the rear system and had everything 100% I thinking it was a good time to suck the old brake fluid out until it flows clear with the new fluid. I know I should have quit when ahead - as I accidentally got a touch of air in the lines from the front reservoir as it went dry.

I since pulled ~20oz of fluid thru the different bleed points but can't seem to get the bubble of air out of the system. Front brakes are still spongy.

There has to be some air trapped in there that I can't get out. Does anybody know if there is something different I need to do to get this air bubble out?

2000 Sportsman 500 1100+hours

Old 10-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bleeding brakes

welcome to the forum,you probably need to bench bleed your master cyl.take the front brake line off and put a fitting with a hose on it to put back into the res.auto parts stores have the few dollar kit with some fittings+a clear hose,pump the fluid back into,cap off fitting,carefully put brake line back on,rebleed.put rags down,fluid eats paint.