Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Air Filters

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 06:50 PM
DCT
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Filters

My next mod for my Sportsman will be a "Twin Air" filter. From what I've read, they filter better, and are less restrictive than the stock paper. If that is truly the case, you get the best of both worlds.

Of course, that's only what I've read. The prove will be when I use one.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:34 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Filters

Less restriction=Less protection in my books..............Caper............

Old 10-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Air Filters

k&n has been in business several years i use them in eveything I have motorcycle pickup, 4 wheeler and if i could find one to fit my lawn mower it would have one in it. I dont buy that they will let trash in If they were bad about letting stuff through them they would be out of buisiness by now.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air Filters

K&N has improved air AND improved filtration and protection.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air Filters

I won't say the K&N is going to make a noticable power difference in a ATV, nor do I believe is has superior filtration to paper. BUT I will say that it filters quite sufficiently. The extremetly fine dust that may flow through a freshly cleaned or new K&N will not cause excess engine wear and IMO is no more abrasive than fuel, you do know fuel is an abrasive right? As is the carbon byproduct of combustion, for that matter as is pure air lol. Extremely fine dust particales that may escape through the K&N will be consumed during combustion, and will be no more abrasive than the carbon residue.. Now if larger sand granules could escape through the filter that would be a different matter. Just my .02. I have ran K&N type filters in very expensive race engines and have ran them in ATVs/ I have inspected the intake tract of both and found them clean. If I ran in extremley dusty,dry,sandy enviroments a paper filter would probably make me feel better,but probably wouldn't make any difference in wear.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Air Filters

i run uni
caper runs paper <--- don't even try to convert him.... lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air Filters

If I was going to switch from paper to something else it would be Uni or No-Toil, not K&N. They're good for cars on paved roads but I don't think they're very good for off-road vehicles.

P.S. K&N needs a pre-filter IMO, and I heard that once you put an Outwears pre-filter on a K&N it doesn't flow any better than paper and may be even worse.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM
DCT
Banned
Default Air Filters

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

I won't say the K&N is going to make a noticable power difference in a ATV, nor do I believe is has superior filtration to paper. BUT I will say that it filters quite sufficiently. The extremetly fine dust that may flow through a freshly cleaned or new K&N will not cause excess engine wear and IMO is no more abrasive than fuel, you do know fuel is an abrasive right? As is the carbon byproduct of combustion, for that matter as is pure air lol. Extremely fine dust particales that may escape through the K&N will be consumed during combustion, and will be no more abrasive than the carbon residue.. Now if larger sand granules could escape through the filter that would be a different matter. Just my .02. I have ran K&N type filters in very expensive race engines and have ran them in ATVs/ I have inspected the intake tract of both and found them clean. If I ran in extremley dusty,dry,sandy enviroments a paper filter would probably make me feel better,but probably wouldn't make any difference in wear.</end quote></div>

I have also used K & N filters before... on our cars and trucks. I can't honestly say that I noticed any power gain. Nor can I say that I've noticed any more (or less) dirt getting into the intake. More recently, I've used S & B filters. While they are similar to K & N in first appearance, they seem to be better built (finer mesh and more consistent) and they would be my choice if I were going to that type filter. However, they don't make filters for ATV's... at least not yet. With either of these filters, it's the cleaning and re-oiling that is critical. Too much oil is no good, and to little (or uneven oiling) oil is even worse.

When my son and I were riding with one of his friends, we started talking about filters. His friend showed us the Twin Air filter in his Grizz. The outer layer of foam was extremely dirty. The top portion of the inner layer was a little dirty, and the inside of the inner layer was completely clean, as was the intake port. I was quite impressed. Of course, the Twin Air is an expensive filter, and the maintenance kit is also expensive.

Hard to say whether it's worth it or not. One can only try them, and come to his/her own conclusions.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:12 PM
DCT
Banned
Default Air Filters

BTW, I'm sure many of you know about this forum, but I'll throw the link out there for those that don't.

Bob is the Oil Guy

It's a great forum for info on oil, filters, and a lot of other maintenance stuff. They even have a small forum dedicated to PowerSports.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Filters

Here we go again.............LOL...LOL....

Just one question to add.........Why use anything other than paper if I can get a full year out of them and have the best protection out there right now(paper is proven) Someone tell me why I should get a uni or K&N?
With over 2400 miles on my 2006 Sportsman 450 and only three air filter so far......No oil,washing,and drying...........Just air nozzle and blow clean............. and warm water with dish soap for the outer-wear...........................Don't get me wrong here.......I do think the extra air flow in these filters are great for the hard-top but not for the money and conditions I (we) put these Quads through!!
I spend over $16000.00 Canadian on these two 450's and want to see just how many miles I can put on these before any major work will need to be done........No Mods, performance upgrades,lift-kits,rims,tires,etc.........Mine will be put to the test fully stock with proper maintenance.......

There my steam has been released again....LOL............Caper.........

Quick Reply: Air Filters