Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frame lightning?

Definetly go the 400 route.Mod the motor and you will have a great machine

Old 10-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default frame lightning?

ok frame litening.

it can be a little involved. its taken me three years for my to get mine to its current weight.

watever you do DONT AND I MEAN DONT drill holes in your frame. litening a frame with 3/4"cromoly at .058's wall thickness not only makes your bike liter, but cromoly is actually STRONGER than steel. (please dont talk anymore until you know what your talking about)

if your serious into frame litening you need a mig welder pref. gas. you can start by cromolying the subframe or go all out and cut around the enging cradle and build up from there. (which envolves a new frontend)

alluminum wheels help along with a battery eliminator kit.

if your not a member of www.gen3usa.com you need to become one. as you can see theres nothing here for the 400's anymore

Old 10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default frame lightning?

i cant get a 400 motor. im 16, no job..im not made of money lol

i was just wanting to know cheap easy ways to lighten, like eliminating parts of the frame i dont really need or use.

i am getting an aftermarket exhaust and such so i think that will lighten it up.

as for aluminum wheels, what would anyone suggest [cheap is good for me]

im not real hard on my quad, VERY little jumping, so strength..well i really dont care lol.

im getting nerf bars when i get the cash but that is a whole nother topic about which fit the best and look good.

but yeah just any help on what i can take off the frame and all that is what i need. whats a battery eliminator kit?

Old 10-24-2008, 03:27 PM
Shapeshifter Rider
Default frame lightning?

You have some of the most interesting ideas about a trailblazer.But lightening the frame is very unconventional and just might not work.Go to ebay sell the trail blazer start the bidding at 700$ no reserve.It should go to atleast over a grand and if it goes over 1200 find a scrambler.No 500 get a 400.just save the hassel and mod the 400 but frame lightening unless for racing will probably not work.The scrambler will be a better investment in modding than the trailblazer.Just my .02 cents for what it worth take it how you will.

p.s.Anyway I'd figure you'd get bored with a 250 trailblazer.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Trailblazer
Default frame lightning?

i cant sell it.

my dad bought it for me and he doesnt want me to sell it..ill only be riding it for another couple years. then ill buy an outlaw or something...but im just trying to have fun with what i got.

and ive seen it done on trailblazers before..so i know it will work.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default frame lightning?

www.rittercycle.com

man go to www.gen3usa.com theres so much info on 250's and 400's its crazy. you can search all this out and save yourself alot of typing. the folks on that site are super cool and willing to help.

just do it. its freeeeee!! this site is awsome, but this sites for sportsmans and such. gen3 is for 250's and 400's

Old 10-25-2008, 02:53 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default frame lightning?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: badazz400

ok frame litening.

it can be a little involved. its taken me three years for my to get mine to its current weight.

watever you do DONT AND I MEAN DONT drill holes in your frame. litening a frame with 3/4"cromoly at .058's wall thickness not only makes your bike liter, but cromoly is actually STRONGER than steel. (please dont talk anymore until you know what your talking about)

if your serious into frame litening you need a mig welder pref. gas. you can start by cromolying the subframe or go all out and cut around the enging cradle and build up from there. (which envolves a new frontend)

alluminum wheels help along with a battery eliminator kit.

if your not a member of www.gen3usa.com you need to become one. as you can see theres nothing here for the 400's anymore</end quote></div>

Chromoly IS steel. It's steel with chromium and molybdenum in the alloy.

All MIG welders use gas - Metal Inert Gas welding.

I agree that eliminating the battery will help.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:56 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default frame lightning?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: trailblazer_02

i cant get a 400 motor. im 16, no job..im not made of money lol

i was just wanting to know cheap easy ways to lighten, like eliminating parts of the frame i dont really need or use.

i am getting an aftermarket exhaust and such so i think that will lighten it up.

as for aluminum wheels, what would anyone suggest [cheap is good for me]

im not real hard on my quad, VERY little jumping, so strength..well i really dont care lol.

im getting nerf bars when i get the cash but that is a whole nother topic about which fit the best and look good.

but yeah just any help on what i can take off the frame and all that is what i need. whats a battery eliminator kit?</end quote></div>

Lightening the frame then adding the weight of nerf bars doesn't make sense to me. You want to eliminate parts of the frame then add things you don't even need. That's counter-productive.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default frame lightning?

In my opinion don't try to lighten your frame . you could very well ruin a perfectly good piece of equipment .

A few things to note - 4130 chromoly weighs the same as steele , (because it is) the weight savings are due to the fact it is stronger and thinner wall material can be used . The benefit you would gain from this type of work is very small and would not advise you do it .

Aluminum rims save little over steel ones to be honest . Remember too - the durability factor . The tire is where the weight is - get a scale out and start weighing things -- its free !!!

Spend some time with a scale out in the garage . Resist the urge to grind , drill and cut .

Have a nice weekend ~
Rick Ritter

Old 10-25-2008, 06:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default frame lightning?

you are trying to get into a area that cost money that you dont have by the sounds. it is usually expensive to mod out anything and if you dont have a buget to work w/ you would be very limited in what to do. imo.

Quick Reply: frame lightning?