Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Cleaning the drive clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the drive clutch

Hey guys,

My machine was shifting hard while idling and no probs when off. so today I pulled the covers off and sure enough the driven clutch was spinning when idling. So I just changed the drive belt and it fixed the problem.

My question is, while I got it apart, anything else to check for? I hit it with some shop air and wow was there ever dust in there! Im wondreing if theres an easy way to lubricate the one way bearing? It seems to be working good, but I just want to make sure its properly cleaned and lubed before I snap it all back together.

Thanks in advance,
Jocko

Old 10-25-2008, 06:17 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

alot of time its the fiber bushing that goes bad and wears out and causes the issues w/ the creeping. i dont know if theres any kind of special lube you could use in there that wont hurt or get on the belt and cause massive slippage. maybe old polaris tech can recommend something w/ out pulling it apart. i would clean the secondary up as well the rollers and weights if you can while your in there. imo.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Not much you can do on one way clutch without taking the clutch apart,plus have to have a spider tool to get to it. Just blow out all dust and check that one way smooth rolling and fiber washer at back not excessively worn and too much back and forth slack. You have to be careful with the clutch if you are able to remove(rollers and small holding springs will fall out). I remove the bearing quickly and grease thoroughly with marine grade grease inside before they fall out! A lot of the time the washer in the bearing cup in front of the one way wears down and I replace also. Make sure slider buttons are not worn (6) and grooving clutch. Have them replaced and clutch serviced OR you can order the spider tool and do it yourself if you do your own repairs.