Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New XP Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New XP Bumper

I was kinda dissapointed in the front end of my new 850, the "fangs" that are on these things are just thin sheetmetal. My first time out I dented it up.

I looked into the polaris accessory bumpers, but I noticed they only bolt to the 4 holes in the front of the headlight panel. If you look behind the panel, you'll notice that those 4 bolts only attach to some small aluminum braces. Not strong enough for me.

I wanted a front bumper that I can use, something that bolts to the frame of the bike, and can withstand some abuse. Since theres no aftermarket for these quads yet, I broke out the welder and made my own.

Ignore the lack of CV skids in the pics, I have them off because Im making A-arm skids, and a better under body skid too.

Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3

Old 10-26-2008, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default New XP Bumper

that looks like great protection, are you going to go around the lights too or not??

Old 10-26-2008, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default New XP Bumper

Nice! Looks like it blocks the area for the winch,but if you aren't planning on a winch that doesn't matter. I would add a top hoop for support and have it mount to those 2 top bolts.. Cool idea mounting it to the frame, but wihtout top support I'd be concerned with bending the frame it it takes a hard blow.
I thought the brush guard mounts were a little weak too, the top one sandwiches the plastic making it bulge. Feels failry sturdy mounted up besides, it isn't supposed to be a bumper,it isn't made to take a hard blow,but rather just push brush away. The bumper is a good idea, I try not to hit anything solid, but I nailed a few trees on the 800, all blows were to the rear though, backing in tight quarters with that touchy throttle.

Just curious so I don't have the same problem. How did you dent the fangs? Do you ride in rocky terrain? I ride some pretty thick brush,crawl over alot of downed timber ect and can't think of a scenario where I would hit something with the fangs.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New XP Bumper

Not going to wrap around the headlights, but I am going to add a center hoop to put some lights on and protect the little plastic grille.

The steel plate does cover the area where the winch would go, but I'll remove that when I buy a winch. Not sure when that is gonna be, since we don't deal with a whole lot of mud here. I wanted the XP that came with the camo and the winch, but the green was the only thing available. Now that I have it, Im glad I got the green, its really grown on me!

I live in colorado and we've got some rocks to deal with. I was trying to make my way thru a boulder field, and the front end bounced off of a rock, bending the fangs. I think most people will never have a problem with the factory setup, but Im pretty hard on equipment.

Old 10-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
Default New XP Bumper

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: GPSflyer

Not going to wrap around the headlights, but I am going to add a center hoop to put some lights on and protect the little plastic grille.

The steel plate does cover the area where the winch would go, but I'll remove that when I buy a winch. Not sure when that is gonna be, since we don't deal with a whole lot of mud here. I wanted the XP that came with the camo and the winch, but the green was the only thing available. Now that I have it, Im glad I got the green, its really grown on me!

I live in colorado and we've got some rocks to deal with. I was trying to make my way thru a boulder field, and the front end bounced off of a rock, bending the fangs. I think most people will never have a problem with the factory setup, but Im pretty hard on equipment.</end quote></div>

I hear you on the green! I ordered black as that is what my 08 was and I liked it, when I saw the green in person I really liked it and picked it up instead. If a month ago you would have told me I would own a green Polaris I would have died laughing at you. But I LOVE this green, it isn't the old Polaris green at all. It's a toss up,the red and green paint looked clear coated and harder than the black. The black was pretty soft and if scratched it actually tore the paint and would lift in sheets if you weren't careful. I don't think the red or green will do that,but if it chips it will show where the black really didn't because it is black underneath.

Ok back on topic. The hoop to mount lights is a great idea. Like I said I would really think about supporting the top with a mount as well. Keep us updated with pics!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New XP Bumper

You just confirmed what I knew to be a problem...the fangs just aren't made out of thick enough material. The problem I have is that I like the looks of the fangs and don't want to hang a big brush guard off the front. As I was dinking around with mine today....I think that the first aftermarket company to make something to replace the fangs will make some nice coin. People are going to bend the hell out these things. A stock replacement that looks like the fangs, just tougher, would do it for me!

Old 10-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default New XP Bumper

great job! that looks cool.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default New XP Bumper

I live in colorado and we've got some rocks to deal with. I was trying to make my way thru a boulder field, and the front end bounced off of a rock, bending the fangs. I think most people will never have a problem with the factory setup, but Im pretty hard on equipment.</end quote></div>

What part of Colorado are you from? I live in Aurora, I know what you mean about the rock fields. I ride a TRX450 through all that.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New XP Bumper

I was kinda dissapointed in the front end of my new 850, the "fangs" that are on these things are just thin sheetmetal. My first time out I dented it up.

I looked into the polaris accessory bumpers, but I noticed they only bolt to the 4 holes in the front of the headlight panel. If you look behind the panel, you'll notice that those 4 bolts only attach to some small aluminum braces. Not strong enough for me.

I wanted a front bumper that I can use, something that bolts to the frame of the bike, and can withstand some abuse. Since theres no aftermarket for these quads yet, I broke out the welder and made my own.

Ignore the lack of CV skids in the pics, I have them off because Im making A-arm skids, and a better under body skid too.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3</end quote></div>

I like it! Good job! You should send this to Polaris's R+D dept for them to copy and call their own. LOL![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] no really, you should!

I don't see how it can be modified for a winch but with your talent I am sure that you will find a way to do it.

As for the fangs, I think a peel-and-stick mod might work. But it must be made out of some strong material.

I see some guys in my area add peel-and-stick chrome to the rocker panels of their Silverado's to protect them from sandblasting from the front tires flinging-up junk over the years.

Anyways, what you fabricated here looks just great! Well done GPSflyer!

~MT