Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which plow to use with the Glacier 1 System?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which plow to use with the Glacier 1 System?

Though I have yet to use it to plow snow, I had the Moose RM3 installed on my ATV when I bought it (click on the camera under the author icon to see a picture of it). I am quite impressed on how quickly it connects and disconnects. Hopefully I won't need to plow for a few more weeks.

I also have synthetic rope on my winch - but you could get just a synthetic extension for plowing if you had a steel cable - though it not hard to replace the entire cable with synthetic if you chose too.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have owned both the Glacier1 and Glacier2 which from this point on will be refered to as G1 and G2.

60" is the width you wil want to buy. Either the straight blade with upper rubber deflector OR the Razor. (I have also owned both). I prefer the straight blade over the Razor. I have found that it puts way too much pressure on the ENDS of the blade forming a snowbank making it more possible to bend or snap something. The straight blade is one nice EVEN push.

The G1 takes a little more effort to latch-up but is one strong sound unit. To mount the blade, you will have to use the winch to get the pin to line-up with the hole. Kind of a pain, but like I said, it's a sound investment. In the Summer, you may wish to remove the mounting plate so that you don't squish the bottom where sleeve of the plow frame slides into. The G1 is one strong, capable performer that will not leave you stranded 1/2 way through the Winter.

Now for the G2. It doesn't get any easier to hook her up! 2 little nobbies and it's snapped in place! But there are more important factors to consider imo like STRENGTH, RELIABILITY, GOOD CONSTRUCTION/DESIGN. And that's where the major faults lie with the G2.

G2- My bottom plate has been replaced twice. What happens is that the steel isn't strong enough and it boes downward. If you don't catch it in time, you will send the mounting bolts through the radiator. I read many posts about this sometime ago, maybe Jan, Feb, Mar timeframe and I caught mine in time!

G2- There is a fix. Welding square reinforcement around the mounting plate seems to be the answer. I had mine welded but then Winter was over and didn't get a opportunity to try it. Will see how this winter goes.

There you have it! From someone who has owned and operated each..................but boy-o-boy it sure is easy to mount that that plow to the G2 set-up! LOL!

Good luck in your search!

~MT

Old 10-28-2008, 03:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Forgot to mention about the lower metal cutting edge. I get about one season out of that cutting edge, both sides.(it's reversable) Doesn't seem like it lasts as long as one might think it should. If you let it go too far, it will wear-away the nut heads on the back of the blade.

This year I installed a plastic cutting edge to see how that works out on my stamp-crete concrete driveway. The metal blade stratched the heck out of it last Winter and I had to have it re-finished! We'll see how plastic does this year.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

MT I have used a piece of rubber on the bottom of mine and it works great

Old 11-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

I have owned both the Glacier1 and Glacier2 which from this point on will be refered to as G1 and G2.

60" is the width you wil want to buy. Either the straight blade with upper rubber deflector OR the Razor. (I have also owned both). I prefer the straight blade over the Razor. I have found that it puts way too much pressure on the ENDS of the blade forming a snowbank making it more possible to bend or snap something. The straight blade is one nice EVEN push.

The G1 takes a little more effort to latch-up but is one strong sound unit. To mount the blade, you will have to use the winch to get the pin to line-up with the hole. Kind of a pain, but like I said, it's a sound investment. In the Summer, you may wish to remove the mounting plate so that you don't squish the bottom where sleeve of the plow frame slides into. The G1 is one strong, capable performer that will not leave you stranded 1/2 way through the Winter.

Now for the G2. It doesn't get any easier to hook her up! 2 little nobbies and it's snapped in place! But there are more important factors to consider imo like STRENGTH, RELIABILITY, GOOD CONSTRUCTION/DESIGN. And that's where the major faults lie with the G2.

G2- My bottom plate has been replaced twice. What happens is that the steel isn't strong enough and it boes downward. If you don't catch it in time, you will send the mounting bolts through the radiator. I read many posts about this sometime ago, maybe Jan, Feb, Mar timeframe and I caught mine in time!

G2- There is a fix. Welding square reinforcement around the mounting plate seems to be the answer. I had mine welded but then Winter was over and didn't get a opportunity to try it. Will see how this winter goes.

There you have it! From someone who has owned and operated each..................but boy-o-boy it sure is easy to mount that that plow to the G2 set-up! LOL!

Good luck in your search!

~MT</end quote></div>

Thank you for your input and for that matter everyone else's input. I got a good price on a Glacier 1 setup from Breese Lawn and Garden that I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on. However, yesterday I went to one of the local shops to pick up some gloves as my hands were getting cold while riding. This is the CanAm and Suzuki dealership that I almost bought the CanAm from. They are nice and while buying my gloves I took a look at their plow setups as well. I looked at the Moose RM3 setup at the dealership. It looks like it is pretty much an exact copy of the Polaris Glacier 2 setup. Does anyone know if the Moose RM3 system has the reinforcing improvements that everyone has talked about? I would think that since the Moose RM3 setup is essentially a newer version of the Glacier 2 setup it might have had some reinforcement improvements. Anyway, this shop has offered me a generous discount on the Moose setup, and I'm tempted. It would be maybe $20 more than the Breese price, but I do like to support local businesses too when I can. Also I can get a county style blade with the Moose setup which somewhat interests me. So now I'm torn. Can anyone offer any insights on the Moose RM3 setup compared to the Glacier 2 setup? Thanks

Old 11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

I can take some pictures of the RM3 if somebody can tell me specifically what area they would like to see.