Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris sportsman x2 ignition cutout?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris sportsman x2 ignition cutout?

The ranch hands drove the atvs through the mountains today and with similar results as before.

ATV 1: It backfired through the exhaust and was a PITA, but did not stall as before.

ATV 2: The starter will ingage when the foot brake is applied. Before, it would ingage when the hand brake was applied (both symtoms are intermitten and while the engine is running).

Thanks,
echoman

Old 10-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mtpockets

did you wash the ATV with a pressure washer?</end quote></div>

No, it was just fresh water from a spray nozzle at about 40 psi.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

So ATV1 shows no "wrench" when you start it? You have checked all sensor connectors and they are dry? If not you still need to, the fact that it runs better could just mean it has dried out some but still has some water in a connector or connectors. The starter engagement is very bizzare! The foot brake doesn't even engage the brake lights,at least not on my machine. Weird! I'd say you need to let someone who knows these machines look at it. I know it sucks to take it that far but something like that is hard for us to figure out without looking at it.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HIGHOCTANE

So ATV1 shows no "wrench" when you start it? You have checked all sensor connectors and they are dry? If not you still need to, the fact that it runs better could just mean it has drihned out some but still has some water in a connector or connectors. The starter engagement is very bizzare! The foot brake doesn't even engage the brake lights,at least not on my machine. Weird! I'd say you need to let someone who knows these machines look at it. I know it sucks to take it that far but something like that is hard for us to figure out without looking at it.

Good luck and let us know what you find out.</end quote></div>

OH PLEASE EXCUSE ME (honestly)

I have not cleaned the connections yet.

Yes, both show a "wrench" every time that I go to start on both machines. I did not know that it meant a mechanical problem (I did suspect it).

I was advised by the ranch owner that I could get a "code reader" to help in diagnosis. Please advise the best or best for the money.

I am a rookie in this. Give me a chainsaw and It will be diagnosed in a heart beat, but I am on the learning curve here.

I assumed the "wrench" came up every time. I do not know how to change the mode of the display and do not have the manuals. If there is a service manual available online, please let me know.

echoman

Old 10-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

lol. I really wasn't trying to give you a hard time. Sorry if you thought that. The wrench will flash for about 5 seconds when you start it if there is a problem. You don't need a code reader. To display the codes, with the machine off: Turn the ignition on-off-on(not so far the started engages,just the first notch) 3 times within 5 seconds and it will display the codes one at a time, normally 2 digit, ie "23", then that will go away and the next code will appear if there is multiple codes.. Once it has displayed all codes it will display "END". Write those down and port them up for us.
BTW I'm sure someone has the manuals hosted up somewhere online. What size and what year if you know?

On a side note for anyone else reading the XPs work differently and will only display codes when/if the "check engine" icon is diplayed, different than the "wrench" on previous models,also the procedure is different. This prevents those transient codes caused by temporary issues from becoming an annoyance.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

The wrench light is for a service reminder, to get a code from my X2, the check engine light needs to be on... same procedure.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

On 2008 800 HO that isn't the case, no need for the "check engine" icon to be on to see the codes. Per the manual and I've done it. I agree the wrench is a service reminder. I got that 5 sec blinking wrench from the fact that mine was flashing and I had not reached the preset interval, I did a search and found it online somewhere that it would flash for 5 seconds if codes were present. I checked and it flashed for about 5 seconds, checked codes and low and behold I had 3 codes. No check engine light. They were transient, I reset the ECM and no more codes or flashing wrench. Coincidence maybe because I agree there is nothing in the manual about that.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a Service Manual in .pdf format check www.powersportresource.com

Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

I have the link for some free manuals, what years are the bikes

Old 10-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

As for the code reader, I think the only thing available is the software package the dealers have, probably pretty pricey, hard to troubleshoot some things on the new machines without it.

Quick Reply: Polaris sportsman x2 ignition cutout?