Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question to EFI Owners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question to EFI Owners?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Actually TLC they do NOT use TBI, the Polaris' use sequential multi port fuel injection. One injector for each cylinder placed in the head at the intake port that despenses fuel in a sequence timed to the intake stroke..big difference. </end quote></div>

Just going by the specs sheet, it states dual 40mm throttle body.850 specs.

I still find it odd that none of Polaris sports ATV used EFI, even the 500 Scrambler with the exact same 500 Fuji motor as the Sportsman's is still using the 40mm carb.

I have to say at no time did I ever have a hard time starting up my ATVs in the our northern Ontario Canada winters. Pull chock hit starter after 30 seconds push choke back in,its how its always been for me in the winter.

Even Polaris still uses Mikuni TM Carbs on there porformance snowmobiles.

Just saying if someone has a 500 H.O and sells it just for a 500 EFI and expects some eye opening behavior difference like a new set of tires or a clutch kit does then they will be in for a disappointment.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

I've wondered why they don't efi the scrambler or update it for that matter..Aparantly scrambler sales have been down.It has been a staple of polaris's line up for the better part of 14 years.Maybe it will just live out it's life as a quad utility owners buy there wife.May be they will pull the plug for a year and redesign the scrambler.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

All EFI uses a throttlebody. The throttlebody has a blade that controls the air flow. Throttlebody injection just has to do with where the fuel is injected. TBI looks alot like a carb,just it uses injectors to spray the fuel at the throttle blade. More modern EFI,like Polaris uses, has an injector for each cylinder(even 2 per cylinder in some engines)
These injectors are seated in the head,usually angled to spray the fuel right at the back of the intake valve(s).

Old 10-30-2008, 11:40 AM
DCT
Banned

When I purchased my ATV, there was $1,000 diff between the HO and the EFI (other included upgrades too). If the price would have been closer, I would have got the EFI in a wink.

With that said, I don't have any problems using a choke. I'm an "old timer" so using a choke is something I'm use to.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

I've wondered why they don't efi the scrambler or update it for that matter..Aparantly scrambler sales have been down.It has been a staple of polaris's line up for the better part of 14 years.Maybe it will just live out it's life as a quad utility owners buy there wife.May be they will pull the plug for a year and redesign the scrambler.</end quote></div>

That is because most people are going to a modern sport 4x4 such as the Rengade 500/800 that does have EFI and both will walk all over a Scrambler.

Polaris and Yamaha both need to get it in gear and redo there sport 4x4 's to be more competetive!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Not sure ,but if you Opp for the H.O and not the EFI does that mean you do not get the troublesome ECM brain box,or is that on the new carb models as well?

Old 10-30-2008, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

The '08 500 HO Carb has an ECM, although I doubt it is quite as robust as the EFI model. I imagine it has electronic ignition as well. Which is alot like EFI, uses sensors and a computer to fire the cylinder. Wonder why no one is worred about that leaving them stranded? Maybe we should go pack to points and a condesor,lol

TLC-That is a good question about the Popo sport quads,hmm hadn't thought about that.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:56 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: scrambler400enoge

I've wondered why they don't efi the scrambler or update it for that matter..Aparantly scrambler sales have been down.It has been a staple of polaris's line up for the better part of 14 years.Maybe it will just live out it's life as a quad utility owners buy there wife.May be they will pull the plug for a year and redesign the scrambler.</end quote></div>

That is because most people are going to a modern sport 4x4 such as the Rengade 500/800 that does have EFI and both will walk all over a Scrambler.

Polaris and Yamaha both need to get it in gear and redo there sport 4x4 's to be more competetive!</end quote></div>

I know even when yamaha redesigned the wolverine it still was very unimpressive and imo looked like crap.Maybe an 850 efi scrambler with dual a arm suspension putting out 70 horsepower will put the renegades to shame!!

Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>That is because most people are going to a modern sport 4x4 such as the Rengade 500/800 that does have EFI and both will walk all over a Scrambler. </end quote></div>

Like I said efi does not provide more Horse power,its because ot the Renegades much stronger 500 engine that its ahead of the Scrambler.

Put the KTM powered, Polaris Outlaw 525 motor (Also a Carb BTW) in the Scrambler and its by by 500 Renegade.

Hawkeye 300=17
trailblazer 330=19 hp
Phoenix 200=13 hp
sportsman 450=29.7 hp
Sportsman 500 Ho (carB) 34.5hp
Sportsman 500 EFI=36
Scrambler 500 (carb)=36 hp
Predator 500 (Carb)= 48 HP

Old 10-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

Are you sure that predator number is right?

Quick Reply: Question to EFI Owners?